Why does it take an act of god to get sounds to work?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
gamajorbatistan
Regular

Why does it take an act of god to get sounds to work?

#1 Post by gamajorbatistan »

I can get music to work just fine using

Code: Select all

play music "audio/music/song01.ogg"
But when it comes to sound effects aka

play sound "audio/sound/ui_confirm.wav"
or

play sound "audio/sound/ui_confirm.ogg"
I can't get it to work. And believe me, I've googled and tinkered and tried everything. Yes has_sound is = true in options. Yes my files work. Yes I've put in the proper directory. Yes I've tried everything and every imaginable combination of things. What in gods name? Isn't RenPy supposed to be easy?

Please someone send help before I jump out of the window in my frustration.

gamajorbatistan
Regular

Re: Why does it take an act of god to get sounds to work?

#2 Post by gamajorbatistan »

It works in the test sound thingy under preferences. But it does not work in the game. It just magically decided 'yeah fuck this, I'm not doing this. Sorry mate'. What the hell do I do to make it do what it's supposed to do? Isn't that the basis for programming? The computer does what it's told? How are we supposed to develop anything ever if computers just do whatever the hell they feel like doing?

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

#3 Post by Ocelot »

Can you make a small project exhibiting your problem and post it there for others to look at?
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

gamajorbatistan
Regular

#4 Post by gamajorbatistan »

Hey I figured it out. And I feel a bit silly now. It was just that I was jumping scenes straight after playing the sound and that was what interrupted the sound being played before I could hear anything. Just the quirks of working with an unfamiliar system I guess.