Determining an Ending?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Maychanx31

Determining an Ending?

#1 Post by Maychanx31 »

I feel bad posting yet another question here in such a short amount of time, but this is something I've been worried about for a while!

The game I'm currently working on is going to have several endings that the player can get to depending on their relationships with certain characters and depending on a percentage/stat that will be affected throughout the game.

I'm aware that it's possible to have multiple endings in RenPy, however, I'm a little worried when it comes to how the program knows when to activate them.

Say the player reaches one or all the requirements for an ending early in the game. Will RenPy automatically send them to that ending, or will it wait until I specify when I want the ending to occur?

The events I have planned that lead up to it are crucial to the story, and I just want to be sure that RenPy won't skip over them.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Determining an Ending?

#2 Post by Ocelot »

Maychanx31 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:05 pm Say the player reaches one or all the requirements for an ending early in the game. Will RenPy automatically send them to that ending, or will it wait until I specify when I want the ending to occur?
RenPy won't do anything unless you explicitely tell it to do so. There are some predefined behavior, so you won't have to think how to display main menu or character dialogue, leaving customization for later, but for anything else you will have to write behavior explicitely.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

Maychanx31

Re: Determining an Ending?

#3 Post by Maychanx31 »

Ocelot wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:16 pm
Maychanx31 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:05 pm Say the player reaches one or all the requirements for an ending early in the game. Will RenPy automatically send them to that ending, or will it wait until I specify when I want the ending to occur?
RenPy won't do anything unless you explicitely tell it to do so. There are some predefined behavior, so you won't have to think how to display main menu or character dialogue, leaving customization for later, but for anything else you will have to write behavior explicitely.
Thank you so much for clarifying this! Now I can continue coding without worrying. <3