Screen transition on Main Menu screen

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
killingZ

Screen transition on Main Menu screen

#1 Post by killingZ »

Good day, i am having a hard-time adding transitions for the main menu title screen, how can i put a transition here in this part of my code here? http://prntscr.com/ipmklj i referred to the transition documentation but i could not put it on the vbox with text. i am so sorry for a stupid question but i am really having a hard time. thank you :)

CalixtheGreat
Regular
Projects: Zephyr Breeze Investigations
itch: calixthegreat

Re: Screen transition on Main Menu screen

#2 Post by CalixtheGreat »

Are you talking about the transition (dissolve or fade) between main menu and start game?
FB PAGE:
CALIX THE GREAT

killingZ

#3 Post by killingZ »

no. i am trying to make the text to transition on open of game. like for example on doki doki literature club where the girls pops up on main menu. thanks for helping me :D

BaraAnta

#4 Post by BaraAnta »

Isn't the screen before 'label start' called a splash screen? For example to show the devs name before the start menu is shown?
Thought you can add a splashscreen prior to launch. Or am I reading your question wrong?

https://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/co ... lashscreen < Mind you, that page claims to be outdated, but I'm not sure it doesn't still work.

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by rayminator »

I think he/she talking about a special routes like in Da Capo and Wanko to Kurasou and Heart de Roommate have.

killingZ

#6 Post by killingZ »

BaraAnta wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 am Isn't the screen before 'label start' called a splash screen? For example to show the devs name before the start menu is shown?
Thought you can add a splashscreen prior to launch. Or am I reading your question wrong?

https://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/co ... lashscreen < Mind you, that page claims to be outdated, but I'm not sure it doesn't still work.
Quite close, but i am trying to so some transition in this part of my game: http://prntscr.com/ir4aql and the code for those texts is this one http://prntscr.com/ipmklj but i am trying to add the transitions using the one on the documentation but all of them errors when i put them. i just want to know the proper way on how to put the transitions there. i can manage on how the animations behave/animate.
rayminator wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:41 am I think he/she talking about a special routes like in Da Capo and Wanko to Kurasou and Heart de Roommate have.
Is special routes the the proper term? i dont know any such thing on renpy haha i just started on making games using this

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#7 Post by Donmai »

Those effects in DDLC main screen are not transitions, but ATL animations. That screen seems to be somewhat complex in that the elements will change according to some variable states, but mainly it must have been done this way: first, the graphic elements (the bouncing logo, the scrolling background, and the girls) were defined as ATL animation blocks. In the menu screen, those images are added in order. Depending on some variable states (for example, if one of the characters has died) it's image can be replaced by a "glitched" image or a ghost.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

killingZ

#8 Post by killingZ »

Donmai wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:00 am Those effects in DDLC main screen are not transitions, but ATL animations. That screen seems to be somewhat complex in that the elements will change according to some variable states, but mainly it must have been done this way: first, the graphic elements (the bouncing logo, the scrolling background, and the girls) were defined as ATL animation blocks. In the menu screen, those images are added in order. Depending on some variable states (for example, if one of the characters has died) it's image can be replaced by a "glitched" image or a ghost.
I see.. but i am trying to do a simple fade up animations on those text only. can you help me point in a right direction on how to put animations on them? like basic adding a fade in.. etc? i will advance my studies once i get a grasp on the animations and transitions. thank you so much :D

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#9 Post by Donmai »

You can create alpha dissolves in ATL easily. There are some examples in the cookbook: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16604
Try the first example (opacity) on your main menu to show an image named game_logo with a fade effect. Put the "basicfade" transform definition on one of your scripts, then add this to your main menu screen:

Code: Select all

screen main_menu():

## This ensures that any other menu screen is replaced.
    tag menu

style_prefix "main_menu"

add gui.main_menu_background
    add "game_logo" at basicfade, truecenter
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

killingZ

#10 Post by killingZ »

Donmai wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:50 pm You can create alpha dissolves in ATL easily. There are some examples in the cookbook: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16604
Try the first example (opacity) on your main menu to show an image named game_logo with a fade effect. Put the "basicfade" transform definition on one of your scripts, then add this to your main menu screen:

Code: Select all

screen main_menu():

## This ensures that any other menu screen is replaced.
    tag menu

style_prefix "main_menu"

add gui.main_menu_background
    add "game_logo" at basicfade, truecenter
i see thank you :D ill see if this works properly after i get back on my pc. thank you again..