[Solved] Show buttons only with dialogue windows

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
CyDementia
Regular

[Solved] Show buttons only with dialogue windows

#1 Post by CyDementia »

Hello guys. The question is quick to ask but seems hard to resolve (because I couldn't find that info anywhere for a long time).
Question: how to show buttons (q.save, skip etc. default buttons) only when dialogue window is shown (ADV and NVL too). For now they are shown all the time and I don't like it very much. I'm very new to this so please include as much info as you can.
Last edited by CyDementia on Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Show buttons only with dialogue windows

#2 Post by philat »

I'm confused. I'm pretty sure those buttons are already only shown when the dialogue window is shown -- the dialogue window is just shown nearly all the time.

CyDementia
Regular

#3 Post by CyDementia »

philat wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:35 pm I'm confused. I'm pretty sure those buttons are already only shown when the dialogue window is shown -- the dialogue window is just shown nearly all the time.
They are really shown all the time. And there is one thing that amazes me most of all else: they are dissolving along with the scene dissolving (at least it's individual case in the very beginning of the game, because it starts with dissolving scene). This case makes it look like this default buttons are hardcoded into all "scene" statements. If I remove "with Dissolve()" from this first scene, they don't dissolve with it :)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

Try adding
$quick_menu = True
And
$quick_menu = False
to your script.

True makes it show, False does the opposite.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by philat »

Huh. That's a change in default that I hadn't noticed. Old renpy used to have the quick_menu used in the say screen. You can delete

Code: Select all

init python:
    config.overlay_screens.append("quick_menu")
These two lines from screens.rpy and add use quick_menu to the say screen. (You can check a legacy UI screens.rpy for an example if you need to.)

CyDementia
Regular

#6 Post by CyDementia »

Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:02 pm Try adding
$quick_menu = True
And
$quick_menu = False
to your script.

True makes it show, False does the opposite.
It worked. I'm so grateful, thank you.

CyDementia
Regular

#7 Post by CyDementia »

philat wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:05 pm Huh. That's a change in default that I hadn't noticed. Old renpy used to have the quick_menu used in the say screen. You can delete

init python:
These two lines from screens.rpy and add use quick_menu to the say screen. (You can check a legacy UI screens.rpy for an example if you need to.)
I managed to completely hide menu by deleting those two lines, thank you. But I don't understand how to add menu to say screen. Imperf3kt's solution works fine, but I'll need to add these lines over and over again in the future.

CyDementia
Regular

#8 Post by CyDementia »

philat wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:05 pm Huh. That's a change in default that I hadn't noticed. Old renpy used to have the quick_menu used in the say screen. You can delete

init python:
False alert, I did it. But now it looks dimmer than usual for some reason (button text is dimmer).
UPD: on closer look buttons appear faster than say window with its background (which is black with opacity). So they appear white and after ~0.2 sec say window overlaps and make buttons very dim. Is there any way to avoid it? I should bring buttons to front obviously, but i don't know the command for it

CyDementia
Regular

#9 Post by CyDementia »

CyDementia wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:24 pm

init python:
False alert, I did it. But now it looks dimmer than usual for some reason (button text is dimmer).
UPD: on closer look buttons appear faster than say window with its background (which is black with opacity). So they appear white and after ~0.2 sec say window overlaps and make buttons very dim. Is there any way to avoid it? I should bring buttons to front obviously, but i don't know the command for it
Aaaaand false alert again. I should have added use quick_menu under "if" cycle in say screen and not above it. Thanks again!