Merging the choice menu and dialogue box

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Korbiwe
Github: Korbiwe

Merging the choice menu and dialogue box

#1 Post by Korbiwe »

I'm quite new to Ren'Py, but pretty experienced in Python. What I'm trying to do is to merge dialogue box with choice menu and the history thingy. I've tried various things like trying to retrieve a current "choice" screen while being in the "say" screen, and make textbuttons out of its contents but all my attempts were unsuccessful.

I've attached an image of what I'm trying to achieve (sorry for the fact that it's in Russian).

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
sample.jpg

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Merging the choice menu and dialogue box

#2 Post by Ocelot »

Sorry, I do not have time to write and test complete code, but here are some pointers:

— Look at nvl screen and look how it displays choices.
— Notice that you can replace function used to display menu: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/nvl_mode.html#nvl_menu
— Maybe modify say screen to display choices, when needed and make a custom menu function?
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

Korbiwe

#3 Post by Korbiwe »

Damn! Thank you, @Ocelot. The answer was always right under my nose, but I kept overlooking it. Something like NVL screen is just what I need.

Korbiwe

#4 Post by Korbiwe »

Also, the thought to

Code: Select all

define menu
never crossed my mind, but it's the perfect solution.