Adding an AlphaMask to a Character Sprite? [Solved]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Re: Adding an AlphaMask to a Character Sprite? [Solved]

#16 Post by Katy133 »

trooper6 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:12 am I just got to play through this, Thanks Katy133. I learned a lot!
I feel like I still need to learn more about AlphaMasks, when you use them, the various things you can do with them, that sort of thing. But this is a great start!
Thanks!

ETA: Katy133...actually I have a request...which you can ignore!

Do you think you could update your cookbook recipe to explain other uses of AlphaMask and what a person would do with AlphaDissolve? I feel like these tools must be very useful, but I don't really understand when you'd want to use them or what that would look like.
I've started looking into it, and I think it's beyond my level of coding at the moment. But I was able to find an example of it in Ren'Py's Tutorial game. It's under Transition Gallery --> AlphaDissolve in the game. The example used was animating a Looney Tunes-style iris dissolve, but I've not really sure how to edit it.

In the tutorial, it describes this:

Code: Select all

image alpha_control:
    "spotlight.png"

anchor (.5, .5)

parallel:
        zoom 0
        linear .5 zoom .75
        pause 2
        linear 1.0 zoom 4.0

parallel:
        xpos 0.0 ypos .6
        linear 1.5 xpos 1.0
        linear 1.0 xpos .5 ypos .2

pause .5
    repeat

define alpha_example = AlphaDissolve("alpha_control", delay=3.5)

scene bg washington
    show eileen happy at center
    with alpha_example

Hope this helps--even a little bit!
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!