Is there a function similar to renpy.pause() that doesn't delay the script from appearing?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
minusleaf

Is there a function similar to renpy.pause() that doesn't delay the script from appearing?

#1 Post by minusleaf »

I essentially want a timer so that when a certain value is reached, the next show function is called. Renpy.pause() does what I want except that it delays the script.

Code: Select all

class movSprite():
        # Note that the alpha mask file must have the same name as the animation but with an extra ' mask' at the end.
        # Example for the two files: 'directory/saki serious smile' and 'directory/saki serious smile mask'
        # endStill should also be named same as the animation file, but with an added ' still' at the end.

def __init__(self, animation, duration):
            self._movEnd = False
            self._creationTime = time.time()

self._duration = duration

# Names of the displayables
            self._movName = animation
            self._endStillName = animation+'still'

# Create the still image displayable, movie should already be pre-defined in the 'init'
            self._endStill = renpy.image(self._endStillName, animation+" still.png")

def showSprite(self):
            #Add a check to see if previous sprite name is the same is new one to prevent same animation from replaying awkwardly
            renpy.show(self._movName)
            renpy.pause(self._duration)
            renpy.show(self._endStillName)

def changeSprite(self, newName, duration):
            #Add a check to see if previous sprite name is the same is new one to prevent same animation from replaying awkwardly (set self._movEnd)
            self._movName = newName
            self._duration = duration

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: Is there a function similar to renpy.pause() that doesn't delay the script from appearing?

#2 Post by Remix »

You would likely do best (and probably find it easiest) to use DynamicDisplayable and utilize the inbuilt st/at parameters that are passed to the function returning the displayable... Basically taking all the *args and **kwargs of movSprite and just using them in one function that includes the time value

Some pseudo code:

Code: Select all

init python:
    def mov_sprite(st, at, *args, **kwargs):
        # return a displayable, recall pair
        disp = self.mov_name if st <= self.duration else self.end_still
        rpt = self.mov_duration if st <= self.duration else 0
        return disp, rpt

image mov_still = DynamicDisplayable(
                            mov_sprite,
                            _predict_function = None, # this should be added
                            duration = 3.0,
                            animation = "some ref")
Without knowing what the animation, mask and end_still are doing, it's hard to help further

Sub-note: As regards the original question; I think renpy.ui.pausebehavior (a wrapper for the class renpy.display.behavior.PauseBehavior) and renpy.ui.timer(.1, repeat=True, action=some_function_call) are about the only facilities Ren'py has that might come close. PauseBehavior only returns a value after a set time though rather than calling a function/method so would need some extra work to implement (if possible). The ui.timer option might have knock on effects with interactions and screen/displayable/atl code if not handled well.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

minusleaf

Re: Is there a function similar to renpy.pause() that doesn't delay the script from appearing?

#3 Post by minusleaf »

Thanks so much! I tried to implement the DynamicDisplayable and I'm able to play animated sprites without looping.