How do you reverse languages

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Kyuubifoxy

How do you reverse languages

#1 Post by Kyuubifoxy »

Hello,

I create a game with renpy and I wrote my text in French.
I generate English translation files and I translate my game from French to English.

Now I want to translate my game in German but my translator only know English...
I read on Renpy Doc that it's possible to reverse languages to get for example : French to English (I reverse it and I get) English to French.

So I tried to follow what was wrote on the site but it didn't work at all...
Do you have any idea on how I can get my script in English ?

I don't mind if it's just English to French...

Hope somebody can help me :)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: How do you reverse languages

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Let me see if I understood.

Your native language: FR
Language you had your game translated to: EN

This worked so now you want to do another game, written in German and translate it to English so your translator can translate it to French? Or did you mean you wish to translate the same game into German, as well, but with the script in English?

I am sorry, but I am confused.
Je suis désolé, mais je suis confus
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#3 Post by Donmai »

I think I can understand your problem (please correct me if I'm wrong). After successfully generating an English translation, now you want to generate a German translation of your French game. As French is the None language, if you generate the translation (even if your Ren'Py launcher is in English) this will be the result (sorry for my bad French):

Code: Select all

translate german strings:

# screens.rpy:432
    old "Vitesse du texte"
    new "Vitesse du texte"
but the problem is your German translator can't read French, so you need the translation to be generated this way:

old "Text Speed"
    new "Text Speed"
that means, having English as the None language.
Sorry, I don't have an answer. As a non-English speaker myself, I would also like very much to find an answer.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

mikolajspy
Regular
Completed: Too many, check signature
Deviantart: mikolajspy

#4 Post by mikolajspy »

Well, depending on length of your game, you can do it by hand...
Just old style, copy-paste, so that default language is translated English and your original French copied to generated translation files.

I tried to test Launcher "Reverse translations" on test project but it didn't seem to work.

Kyuubifoxy

#5 Post by Kyuubifoxy »

Imperf3kt wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:19 pm Let me see if I understood.

Your native language: FR
Language you had your game translated to: EN

This worked so now you want to do another game, written in German and translate it to English so your translator can translate it to French? Or did you mean you wish to translate the same game into German, as well, but with the script in English?

I am sorry, but I am confused.
Je suis désolé, mais je suis confus
No I want to translate the same game in German using my English translation... but the renpy "reverse languages" doesn't work at all and I can't find any answer on the web... Like nobody try to do this before...
Donmai wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:26 pm I think I can understand your problem (please correct me if I'm wrong). After successfully generating an English translation, now you want to generate a German translation of your French game. As French is the None language, if you generate the translation (even if your Ren'Py launcher is in English) this will be the result (sorry for my bad French):

old "Vitesse du texte"
    new "Vitesse du texte"
but the problem is your German translator can't read French, so you need the translation to be generated this way:

old "Text Speed"
    new "Text Speed"
that means, having English as the None language.
Sorry, I don't have an answer. As a non-English speaker myself, I would also like very much to find an answer.
Well I try a lot of solution but it never worked...
Even if I can just invert my english translation to get

translate XXX strings:
 old "English text"
 new "french text"

it would be awsome because I can use a software to delete everything between "" after the word "new"...
mikolajspy wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:26 am Well, depending on length of your game, you can do it by hand...
Just old style, copy-paste, so that default language is translated English and your original French copied to generated translation files.

I tried to test Launcher "Reverse translations" on test project but it didn't seem to work.
I thought of this solution but I have like 10 000 lines of text for the first demo... so doing it by hand will be so long...

But thanks for trying to find a solution... I will keep looking and experimenting with the luncher and if I find any solution, I come back to you to tell you!

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Alex »

Not tested, ofcourse, but try to duplicate the folder with your english translation and rename it to "german", then send the translation files to your translator - you have french to english translation, so (s)he can replace english text with german.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#7 Post by Donmai »

Now that's a simple and interesting idea!
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

lemmatree

#8 Post by lemmatree »

I think I will start a Chinese translation someday...
An Amateur Gamer & A Professional Mandarin Translator. :)