Side images suddenly not showing up.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
starshine001
Completed: None
Projects: The Nightfall [Vampire Thriller]
Organization: None

Side images suddenly not showing up.

#1 Post by starshine001 »

So, I've been working on a little test game where I try out some basic Ren'py functions for quite some time now and it actually turned into something with a story and everything. Everything was working fine until, a few days ago, I tried to implement the function to let the player chose their character. Even though some nice people tried to help me with a problem I encountered while coding it (the side images didn't show up) I couldn't fix it and ultimately went back to just having one character as the protagonist.

When I did that, though, I noticed that the side images STILL didn't show up even though I did everything the same - this only affects the protagonist as far as I can see.

This is my code to define the character:

Code: Select all

define a = Character("[name]", color="#04B4AE", image="alexandra", window_left_padding=140)
This is where I defined the side images (I have them in sub-folders but that can't be the problem since I've done that from the get-go):

Code: Select all

#MC

image side a N = "Side/mc/side alexandra neutral.png"
image side a Sm = "Side/mc/side alexandra smiling.png"
image side a S = "Side/mc/side alexandra shock.png"
image side a C = "Side/mc/side alexandra crying.png"
image side a A = "Side/mc/Alexandra/side alexandra angry.png"
image side a R = "Side/mc/side alexandra romance.png"
I'm probably just being stupid and missing something really obvious but I can't seem to figure it out. Help is greatly appreciated :D
Looking cool, Joker!
-Morgana, 2017
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My dreams dictate my reality

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: Side images suddenly not showing up.

#2 Post by Remix »

image="alexandra" should be image="a"

The image= parameter sets the image tag to use for side and other sprites
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

starshine001
Completed: None
Projects: The Nightfall [Vampire Thriller]
Organization: None

Re: Side images suddenly not showing up.

#3 Post by starshine001 »

Thank you, that fixed it. Kind of weird, really, since I have always used "alexandra" as an image tag and it's been working fine until now. But oh well...
Looking cool, Joker!
-Morgana, 2017
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My dreams dictate my reality