[Solved by ultimate grand champion, PyTom] Running Game on a Mac

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
JanstinBeebo

[Solved by ultimate grand champion, PyTom] Running Game on a Mac

#1 Post by JanstinBeebo »

Me again with more ignorance.

I am on PC, but my buddy is on a Mac. He wants to help playtest my game, so I built a mac distribution and send him the zip. He has no idea how to run the game. We discovered that Mac users must download the Ren'Py launcher, so he did that, and still has no idea what to do. Instructions I found online said to just open the launcher and then direct it to the .rpy file. He is not being prompted to direct to a file.

Can somebody help us out in the simplest language possible? Treat me like a child... I have NO idea how a mac works :)
Last edited by JanstinBeebo on Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Running Game on a Mac

#2 Post by PyTom »

Mac is hard.

The best way for him to do it is to just run the mac distro as an unsigned app. This is done by unzipping the file, control-clicking on it, and choosing Open. See the instructions here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25088?locale=en_US

Note that while Apple claims to be concerned about malware, they also stand to profit handsomely from app signing.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

JanstinBeebo

Re: Running Game on a Mac

#3 Post by JanstinBeebo »

Okay, my buddy said that worked and that he was overthinking it. Haha thanks again, PyTom.