Suggestions on making a "stoppable roulette"?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
NeonF1sh

Suggestions on making a "stoppable roulette"?

#1 Post by NeonF1sh »

I've been working with ren'py for a bit, and I'm trying to figure out how to make a simple stoppable roulette. For example, if you've ever played Mario Party, you know that by pressing a button when it's your turn to move, you can stop the die at a certain number. This is similar to what I'd be trying to accomplish, but I'm not sure how to execute it, or if it's even possible... does anyone have any help or suggestions on what method I can use?

Milkymalk
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Don't Look (AGS game)
Projects: KANPEKI! ★Perfect Play★
Organization: Crappy White Wings

Re: Suggestions on making a "stoppable roulette"?

#2 Post by Milkymalk »

So you want to make a wheel of fortune?

Usually I'd suggest a user defined displayable (a fancy term for "a function that returns what to display"), but seeing that it's your first post here, that's probably far beyond what you can easily do.

I can't think of any easy way to do that, but it's late and I am tired. So can, at least for the moment, only give you this advice:
Wait with the aesthetics of it. Just randomly determine a number for now with renpy.random.random(upper_limit) and implement the wheel later. Do what you already can do, for now.

However, if you don't really want a wheel or roulette but are happy with just displayed numbers that change and stop, that's far easier. I'm still too tired at the moment though ;)
Crappy White Wings (currently quite inactive)
Working on: KANPEKI!
(On Hold: New Eden, Imperial Sea, Pure Light)