About Atom editor and Ren'Py

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
DannX
Regular

About Atom editor and Ren'Py

#1 Post by DannX »

So now there's a new option to download the Atom script editor with Ren'Py support, I've used Atom some time ago and it is quite nice, however I've noticed that the one in the Renpy website it is a 132 mb download, and I remember the old Atom I had was a lot smaller (like 30-50mb maybe). I'm rather curious, does this new version have more/better features than Editra or other editors? If so, which are they and should I switch to it? I'm currently using Sublime with ren'py language package.

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: About Atom editor and Ren'Py

#2 Post by kivik »

I just downloaded Atom from the official site and it's 145MB, so I guess there has been a significant change. You can see the release notes here but without knowing what version you had it's hard to know for sure: https://atom.io/releases

Personally I'd sticking with what you're happy with. I'm also using Sublime Text and it's much more light weight than Atom, but I have friends who have switched to Atom from sublime text for other coding needs.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

I'm not sure why PyTom switched from Editra to Atom in the first place. Editra has all the functions I care for such as a spell checker, code folding, indenting multiple line automatically, automatically commenting out lines, automatic spacing and of course the reverse of each.

Stick with whatever you're comfortable with.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Editra also hasn't had a new release since 2013, and is technically still in beta. I don't want to make Ren'Py dependent on dropped technology that, if it stops working because Windows or MacOS or Linux change, I'd be unable to fix. By contrast, Atom is a vibrant product where the main problem is keeping up with their release schedule.

At the end of the day, I can tell which way the wind is blowing, and it's not in Editra's direction.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#5 Post by trooper6 »

I was an Editra user on Mac this whole time...and then a few months ago Editra just stopped working. I couldn't get it to boot at all. So I moved to Atom...and then PyTom moved Renpy to Atom. I think he was copying me (just kidding!). But basically, although I really liked Editra...it just wasn't working anymore...at least on my Mac.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by kivik »

I just chip in again, I forget that I've paid for my copy of Sublime Text so I don't get the random pop ups upon saving. I can understand why PyTom would go for something that's intended to be free :)

DannX
Regular

#7 Post by DannX »

Thank you everyone for your input, I didn't know Editra was discontinued and Sublime's random pop ups (I'm still using trial version) are indeed a little annoying, so I decided to give Atom a try, there are a few things that I'll have to get used to (like the color schemes until I find how to change them), but overall it seems good enough and it's great that it's open source and constantly improving.

mikolajspy
Regular
Completed: Too many, check signature
Deviantart: mikolajspy

#8 Post by mikolajspy »

I was also using Atom before it was officially announced to be included in RenPy.
What I love about it, is that modern, highly customizable interface. For example, I installed minimap plugin to easier navigate through scripts (reccomended!).
And what's the best feature, is memory where I left the file, and it even remembers last action in the file even after I close it, so I can undo them even a day later.

I didn't checked how included one behaves yet, since I have separate installation and I set in Renpy Launcher "System Editor" for now.

henvu50
Veteran

#9 Post by henvu50 »

PyTom wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:37 pm Editra also hasn't had a new release since 2013, and is technically still in beta. I don't want to make Ren'Py dependent on dropped technology that, if it stops working because Windows or MacOS or Linux change, I'd be unable to fix. By contrast, Atom is a vibrant product where the main problem is keeping up with their release schedule.

At the end of the day, I can tell which way the wind is blowing, and it's not in Editra's direction.
Hi. How can we use the latest Atom version 1.57, as Ren'py version 7.4.5's atom editor?

I have access to a non-installed version of Atom. Meaning I can copy 1.57 version of atom anywhere I want.

Then, I think i have to edit Atom.edit.py, to point to the new version of atom, but I have no idea how to do that unfortunately.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#10 Post by Imperf3kt »

mikolajspy wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:29 am and it even remembers last action in the file even after I close it, so I can undo them even a day later
This is an infuriating 'feature' that results in wasted time, lost code and an angry me. Does anybody know how to disable this?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

bonnie_641
Regular
Projects: Código C.O.C.I.N.A.
Deviantart: rubymoonlily

#11 Post by bonnie_641 »

Imperf3kt wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:39 pm This is an infuriating 'feature' that results in wasted time, lost code and an angry me. Does anybody know how to disable this?
Because of this feature I left Sublime Text :( and looked for alternatives: at the beginning I used Editra, Atom (one of my favorites), Notepad++... but I ended up using VS Codium (a fork of the Microsoft project: Visual Studio Code).

VS Codium is easy to use and has many extensions to facilitate the way to write and read code without losing detail. I love it! If you are used to using a code editor, it will take you some time to set up the workspace (it took me 4 hours to set it up to my liking), but it was worth it. I highly recommend it.
I speak and write in Spanish. I use an English-Spanish translator to express myself in this forum. If I make any mistakes, please forgive me.
I try my best to give an answer according to your question. :wink: