.RPY file blank after Windows update

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
KarmaLarma
Projects: Deadly Vice
Tumblr: karmalarma
Deviantart: karmalarma
itch: karmalarma

.RPY file blank after Windows update

#1 Post by KarmaLarma »

Ooookay, this is a weird one, and to be honest I'm not %100 sure whether it's because it's a Renpy file or not. But I'm really hoping someone's had this problem before so that my work can be salvaged.

Last night I stayed up late working on writing one of the chapters for my VN in Atom. After hitting about 3,000 words, plus the coding for some of the visuals and such, I saved my progress and then closed my laptop to go to bed. I know I saved it because I saved it several times over the course of writing it and the beginning of the chapter was already written from the other day. Anyway I get up this morning, open the laptop, and it is restarting because a Windows update has forced its way in. So I leave it alone and wait. No big deal that it closed my programs because I constantly save. So I open up my writing from last night and
It's blank.
The file is still there but it is wiped clean as if it's a new file.
I had several other files open in Atom from the same game's script and none of them were affected as far as I can see but the chapter I was working on looks as if I've opened a brand new file.

I don't know how this happened, if the file was somehow overwritten or corrupted or what. But anybody have any ideas on how I could get my writing back, or is it lost to the void of stupid Windows errors?

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: .RPY file blank after Windows update

#2 Post by Ocelot »

I answered similar question on how to get files back here: viewtopic.php?p=483167#p483167
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

KarmaLarma

#3 Post by KarmaLarma »

Ahh there is no backups folder in my Atom AppData orz But thank you for trying.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#4 Post by Donmai »

Ocelot is right, you're only looking in the wrong place. The backups folder has nothing to do with Atom, it's a Ren'Py thing.
Go to your desktop and press the windows key + r. On the prompt, type

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%/RenPy/
and press enter. A directory should open. Look for a folder named backups. You should find copies of your recent works there.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

KarmaLarma

#5 Post by KarmaLarma »

Oh, yeah there it is! Just a different App Data folder then fft. Unfortunately it looks like all of my work from last night is still lost, but at least the writing from before then is in there. It's still bad but less discouraging than having to start over from scratch. Thanks so much guys!