[Solved] Text Speed in NVL Mode

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
orbpal
Completed: rainflow, house on the beach, unearthly, monster girl academy
Tumblr: yurucamp
Deviantart: seadrown

[Solved] Text Speed in NVL Mode

#1 Post by orbpal »

Hello! This is my first time using these forums, so I sincerely apologize if I am missing an obvious solution or making an etiquette mistake.

I'm in the process of writing my fourth visual novel with ren'py, and I've had some trouble setting text speed with NVL mode. After altering preferences.text_cps and setting the value to 20, the text speed is correct in ADV mode but NVL blocks still appear all at once as if cps is set to 0.

I shortened my code down to just the first few blocks of the game and ran this script in a new game file, and the same thing is happening. I didn't edit options/gui/screens at all except for changing the cps in options. Here's the code I used, below. (I know that adding the cps setting individually to the script lines should be redundant, but even that isn't working.)

Code: Select all

init:
    $ n = Character(None, kind=nvl,)

define c = Character("Cierra", image="cierra", color="#ffa8d3")

label start:      
    scene bg1
    play sound "sound/insects.mp3" loop
    play music "music/running.ogg"

n "{cps=20}As soon as I open my eyes, I'm overtaken by a sense of urgency, like I'm being chased by something indescribable. All I can feel is an urge to run as fast as my legs can carry me."
    n "It seems as if the forest itself is alive. The trees, black and as tall as the sky, crowd my vision and rip into my limbs."
    n "I tear straight ahead, wasting no time breathing. My knees are covered with burning scrapes and bruises, though I don't remember falling."
    n "Suddenly, my vision goes white and I find myself on my face in the dirt."  
return
I'm not fluent in python at all so I'm a bit confused. Thank you very much in advance! :+)
Last edited by orbpal on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HappyBot

Re: Text Speed in NVL Mode

#2 Post by HappyBot »

Hey there! I had the exact same problem. What ultimately fixed it for me was to update Ren'Py. So if you're not up to date, I'd suggest doing that.

orbpal
Completed: rainflow, house on the beach, unearthly, monster girl academy
Tumblr: yurucamp
Deviantart: seadrown

Re: Text Speed in NVL Mode

#3 Post by orbpal »

HappyBot wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:34 pm Hey there! I had the exact same problem. What ultimately fixed it for me was to update Ren'Py. So if you're not up to date, I'd suggest doing that.
Thank you so much for your help! I didn't realize the version I was using wasn't up-to-date, and updating seems to have fixed the problem. :+)