[Solved] How to cycle sprite image when creating a character

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
kuma-sensei
Github: Kuma-sensei

[Solved] How to cycle sprite image when creating a character

#1 Post by kuma-sensei »

Hi there,

Been working on a character creation system with the following vision: A series of pre-drawn characters from which the player can select using left/right arrows to cycle between the available characters.

My implementation strategy: create a list of image files for each of the characters, a function to cycle between those files, left and right buttons on a screen that activate the cycle function, and wrap all of that in a loop.

Python initialization part:

Code: Select all

init python:
    # Hold all of the character images in a list
    char_list = ["dummy_char_yellow.png","dummy_char_green.png","dummy_char_orange.png","dummy_char_blue.png"]
    # As well as a position in the list that we are looking at
    char_list_pos = 0
    char = char_list[char_list_pos]

# simple cycling function to move through a list without falling off
    def cycle(dir, clp, cl):
        return (clp + dir)%len(cl)
And then screen design:

screen cycle_character_screen():
    frame:
        xalign 0.1 ypos 20
        vbox:

text "Select a character image:"
            grid 2 1:
                textbutton "<":
                    clicked [SetVariable("char_list_pos", cycle(-1, char_list_pos, char_list)), 
                        SetVariable("char", char_list[cycle(-1, char_list_pos, char_list)]),
                        Jump("stage_1")]

textbutton ">":
                    clicked [SetVariable("char_list_pos", cycle(1, char_list_pos, char_list)), 
                        SetVariable("char", char_list[cycle(1, char_list_pos, char_list)]), 
                        Jump("stage_1")]
And then the label with the screen and sprite show commands:

label stage_1:

image c = Image(char, xalign = 0.1)
    show c
#    if char:
#        hide c
#        with dissolve
#        show c
#        with dissolve

show screen cycle_character_screen
    "Create your character! Begin by selecting an appearance and your preferred pronouns. currently on model [char]. \n\nWhen you are satisfied, press \"Confirm\" to proceed."
A fair amount of my work has been around convincing myself of the scope of each of these commands, including the need to print out [char] in the say screen. My goal there was to show that I was, indeed, cycling between images with the buttons.

Issue: Currently, the image does not update even though the filename saved to "char" is being updated. What am I missing? Is there a smoother way to build this?

Thanks,
Kuma-sensei
Last edited by kuma-sensei on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: How to cycle sprite image when creating a character

#2 Post by kivik »

I'd say the smoother way is to use dynamic images: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/changelo ... mic-images

You can set your character image with either a single or multiple variables.

image c:
    "[char]" # this is probably all you need in your case
    xalign = 0.1
image d = "[char_color]-[char_outfit]-[char_mood].png" # but you can diversify!
Also I don't know if you want to set xalign at the image level - you should probably set that in transforms so you can move the image to wherever you want.

kuma-sensei
Github: Kuma-sensei

Re: How to cycle sprite image when creating a character

#3 Post by kuma-sensei »

That's it! Dynamic images - thank you for the pointer!

Agreed on the positioning, by the way - that was simply an in-medias-res test of trying to get some movement to happen.