minigame help

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Spazzlez
Tumblr: goldieblues
Deviantart: Goldie Blues

minigame help

#1 Post by Spazzlez »

Hey everyone, I hope everything is going well for you today.

What I might be asking may be a little much, but I’m not asking for people to do my work for me,

I am currently experiencing some issues with developing a set of mini games for my game, as I personally feel that they are important for what I am currently looking to do.

For my game, I want to make a set of games that can be made to help progress the story of my game. I've called these "Confronts", as they are events that press into the lives of my characters I've made.

These Confronts start off with a Presence Battle, where the player will essentially establish their presence in their argument against a specific character. For this I wanted to do a QTE where the player will have to press a button repeatedly. Kinda like the TellTale's Walking Dead Game QTE's. I want this to be an event where the Player's Influence and Health will raise up, giving them an advantage if they win, and penalizing them if they lose with the similar effects.

Then, this section would expand into a shooter game like Galaga or Touhou, in the functions of how they are. This will be where the player will have to either shoot back or survive to beat the section. Failing this section would be the fail condition that will end the Confront.

The final section is still up for debates, Im thinking of doing something similar to danganronpa’s moment of truth thing lol

Thank you for reading.

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: minigame help

#2 Post by kivik »

The QTE should be doable within Renpy. I think you can do that by calling a screen with the QTE prompt:
The shooter game will require either pygame / python level of coding - hopefully others can point you in the right direction :)

Spazzlez
Tumblr: goldieblues
Deviantart: Goldie Blues

#3 Post by Spazzlez »

Thanks! I will look into this more in the coming days. My main problem with pygame is using it. I have no idea where to start lol.

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by kivik »

Thinking about it, you can probably build a really basic shooter with Ren'py - you can in theory just keep player, enemy ship and projectile coordinates, directions and velocity and refresh it based on a timer that resets every millisecond or something... Then again listen to keys for player input. However you'll have to program in the enemy movement patterns, reactions, etc. AND I don't know what the performance would be like!

For pygame, have you checked out pygame.org for their documentation?