Animation with Mask as Transition

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Poorman65

Animation with Mask as Transition

#1 Post by Poorman65 »

I create my Animations with just the Characters movements. I use a Mask so that most of the screen is static. This allows me to Render my scenes very quickly and keeps the size of my Games data smaller.

Some of these Animations only make sense if they are done ONCE. I know I can achieve that with a cutscene but that doesn't seem to allow for a Mask so that I can provide the Background separately. At times I will have multiple Animations at the same time.

If I do it as an Movie I can do all of the Layering that I want, but I don't see how I can make it play the Animation only once.

image approach movie = Movie(channel="animation1", play="Character Approach.webm", mask="Character Approach-mask.webm")
show approach movie

Is there a trick that would make that possible?

One thought I had was to have an Empty message, block the screen input and then automatically move on. Is there a way to Timeout the message instead of requiring a click?

This is something that I want to do a lot.