Question about image layers.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
helcries

Question about image layers.

#1 Post by helcries »

I looked but couldn't find an answer anywhere, so I was hoping someone here knew.

When your writing up your scenes, does it matter what priority / order I do show screen commands, and scene images?

Code: Select all

label start:
    show screen home_stats
    show screen work_stats
    scene home_livingroom

or

label start:
    scene home_livingroom
    show screen home_stats
    show screen work_stats
Or does it not matter?

Thanks in advance.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Question about image layers.

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

If you want all of them to show at once, and none are modal, the order won't matter.
If one screen shows something in the same position as another screen, it will be placed above or below the other screen, based on when it was called/shown. The later it is called, the higher up the zorder it is (if none has been set) and thus, it shows in front of other screens.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Question about image layers.

#3 Post by kivik »

Just to add, if you're wondering if showing the screen before the scene command will make the screen go away after scene (judging by your example code) - the answer is no. The screens will show in all subsequent scenes until you explicitly hide them.