RAPT and Android SDK after download Renpy Updates

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

RAPT and Android SDK after download Renpy Updates

#1 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

So this is a problem that I have seen discussed before but I am having a hard time finding the relevant threads (either they don't come up in searches or searches fail).

I am building android versions of my new game and I get the error message that I need to download RAPT. There have been quite a number of Renpy updates this year and lots of fixes, as a result, I've probably downloaded these a number of times and I remember encountering quite a few problems during the process too. Each time I make a new game I feel I have to relearn everything again ^^.

Is there a way to avoid having to go through this each time?
Can I just copy it from one version to another? Or better yet, redirect it to that folder (I usually run Renpy of a USB stick, and that stick is quickly running out of space).
What about my keys? I am guessing this is just messing up all my keys for my games too, everything is going to be all over the place.
I'd also like to keep old versions of Renpy out of concerns related to compatibility.

If you could point me in the direction of a relevant thread I would also be grateful.

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Re: RAPT and Android SDK after download Renpy Updates

#2 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

I am having this same problem again with the 7.1.0 prerelease. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Is there a way to copy RAPT from one version to another and to have Renpy detect it?

FroGlenn
Regular

#3 Post by FroGlenn »

Renpy 7.1.0 reworked RAPT from the ground. You will really need to download it again.

I never update renpy from the client itself. I aways download another version of renpy and download everything again. This can be not optimal, but its safer imo.

So, if anything goes wrong, you just open the previous version of renpy.

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran

#4 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

OK, thanks for that. I downloaded RAPT again, though I am getting the same error posted by a few others.
Going forward though, it would be nice to have the option to use a version already on your computer. Sometimes there are multiple releases in quick succession, especially when you are testing a new build that you require to fix a bug or trying to find the version where the bug first appeared. Right now we are looking for a version that meets the new API requirements.

Similarly when there was the bug where the screen went black or the game froze when switching apps it required quite a few versions of Renpy including daily builds to try to find if versions were unaffected or had solved the problem.

I have too many versions right now and due to my own failings I also have to try and manage my Android keys, which is something we also need to copy from each version. It is also becoming an issue as I need to save Renpy on my USB stick as I work on multiple computers. Due to space requirements, I can't really have RAPT set up on each version of Renpy that I require, and furthermore, there are other issues that have prevented me from getting RAPT set up properly on each computer/version.

Alas, it is not an ideal world that we live in, but it would be nice if we could, for instance, specify a folder for RAPT, that could be used by multiple versions of Renpy (assuming newer versions are backward compatible, which may not be true). That would also solve some of the issues with key management.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#5 Post by jack_norton »

I kept using the same RAPT directory in the last... maybe 5-6 renpy releases? the only time I had to redownload it was this time because as others said, it really changed everything.
I simply copy the rapt folder over a new install, and at least in my case it works fine. (except this time since needed a new version)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

Just chiming in on the need to redownload.
I personally, use Ren'Py between two computers (well, one 10 year old desktop, and one ultra low end laptop)

I've not really needed to redownloaded RAPT, just always performed an update via the client. On the laptop, I got the gradle error, and couldn't fix it so did delete the contents of the RAPT folder and redownload it, then perform all the Android installs again.
This does not seem to work, as I still get the error, however, another user mentioned deleting the .gradle (hidden) folder from C:\Users\<your username here>

I am yet to try it, but I suspect this is where the issue lies, possibly in a cache file or settings file.

I found some files that may suggest this.
19:55:59.207 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.launcher.daemon.bootstrap.DaemonMain] Assuming the daemon was started with following jvm opts: [-Xmx1536m, -Dfile.encoding=windows-31j, -Duser.country=US, -Duser.language=en, -Duser.variant]
I won't post the full log file because its quite large and appears to use linebreaks incompatible with the forum.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran

#7 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Yes, I managed to get the 7.1.0 prerelease installed and RAPT set up and I have created a few APK files successfully (though icons aren't showing up as Imperf3kt mentioned elsewhere).

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#8 Post by Imperf3kt »

Just mentioning, that after deleting cache contents from the RAPT bin directory (not everything in it, just your game files) and the files found in .gradle/daemon folder, I was able to build games again.

This may help for those of you still stuck with the issue. I cannot say if these files cause the issue, but the same trouble presented itself occasionally with ANT, and this (minus the gradle bit) is what fixed that for me each time.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter