Cannot Select Editor Error

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PurdySc0tch

Cannot Select Editor Error

#1 Post by PurdySc0tch »

I had downloaded Ren'Py from the website itself on my Mac last night. However, when I tried to edit the script of my project, I keep getting a Ren'Py Update error, saying the account doesn't have permission to preform an update.

I'm fairly new to Ren'Py, so I'm not sure what this means at all, and would appreciate any kind of help.

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Cannot Select Editor Error

#2 Post by kivik »

Make sure you're using the administrator account to do the update, alternatively if you can, make the account you're using for Ren'py development an administrator one assuming it's your Mac.

I actually had problems with having Ren'py across multiple accounts on my Mac (I use different accounts for different things, like work, personal, and game development) - in my case all my accounts have admin privileges and I installed it on the account I used for Ren'py dev specifically and it seems to work fine.