In-game screen saver

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Westeford
Regular
Completed: 12 Hours to Die
Projects: Project Premonition
itch: westeford

In-game screen saver

#1 Post by Westeford »

I had a silly idea.
Is it possible to have an image appear after a certain amount of time without clicking?
Like I leave the game running without clicking for like 10 minutes and then a picture of a derpy humpback whale appears and it stays onscreen until the player clicks.

Why would I want to do this? I dunno. For teh lulz?

DannX
Regular

Re: In-game screen saver

#2 Post by DannX »

This might be possible with a timer on a screen that's shown from the very beginning and never hidden. The timer should be reset whenever a button or key is pressed, but I imagine it would be a lot of work just having every other screen in your game behave this way. In my honest opinion, it might not be worth the effort if you're not going to use it for a more meaningful behaviour than just for the fun of it.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: In-game screen saver

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

If its 'for teh lulz', I suppose a short Rick Astley would be okay in a game specifically designed to frustrate / make fun of people that you release on April 1st.

For anything else, I'd honestly delete it and not download anything else.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter