Problem with the saves thumbnails

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
LuckyBerry
Projects: aRomancetherapy!, The White Castle (title subject to change), and oh so much more lol

Problem with the saves thumbnails

#1 Post by LuckyBerry »

So yeah, I started my project early on this year and while renpy had always given me the message that directX may be out of date, I had never really had any problems with the graphics, except when playing games made either by myself or downloaded from someone else that used the legacy interface. So I assumed it was a thing with the old interface that the save slot thumbnails looked wrong as in that they were monochrome instead of having color and with black lines since the thumbnails looked OK when I played a game made with the new interface, but at some point or another, for some reason while working on my project and making use of the save slots, they started looking like that too and I have no idea what could have possibly changed... Most games (though not all, which is even weirder) I had on my PC and that used the new interface also have this problem now too, like, the old saves that I made when I was playing them look fine but if you overwrite them or save in an empty slot, they will now look wrong. I tried updating directX since that's the only thing I can think of that might be giving trouble (though I have no idea why this happened all of a sudden since as I said the thumbnails looked just fine months, heck literally a day before) but the installer won't let me finish the process because apparently some .cab file has a problem :lol: :lol: :x , I tried checking things with dxdiag but that only tells me everything is OK with directX (apparently, I have directX 11).

So any ideas of why this might be happening and how can I fix it? It really bugs me seeing how the thumbnails look all wrong now :oops:

Also, I hope you guys understand what I mean about the thumbnails looking black and white and with black lines over them, I can't seem to be able to post a picture here, sorry :oops:

Qlara
Regular
Completed: Carmilla
itch: visualgothic

Re: Problem with the saves thumbnails

#2 Post by Qlara »

Hello,
I had the same issue (also the DirectX warnings). If you take a screenshot (hit s) and look at it in the Ren'Py folder, you will find that they show the same distortion, and the thumbnails rely on screenshots.
I posted the problem here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48924&p=482253#p482253, but never received an answer.
The only workaround I could come up with was to delete the cache folder whenever the distortions began to happen (in my case another sign was white outlines to the sprites), so see if this works for you too.

LuckyBerry
Projects: aRomancetherapy!, The White Castle (title subject to change), and oh so much more lol

#3 Post by LuckyBerry »

Qlara wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:15 am Hello,
I had the same issue (also the DirectX warnings). If you take a screenshot (hit s) and look at it in the Ren'Py folder, you will find that they show the same distortion, and the thumbnails rely on screenshots.
I posted the problem here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48924&p=482253#p482253, but never received an answer.
The only workaround I could come up with was to delete the cache folder whenever the distortions began to happen (in my case another sign was white outlines to the sprites), so see if this works for you too.
Hey, sorry for the late reply! Soo.. Yep, I took a screenshot and it indeed looks distorted as well (huh, didn't know the thumbnails relied on those). And well, I tried doing what you said worked for you but... nope, didn't work for me :lol: :lol: :lol: :( Before reading this, it also ocurred to me to delete the persistent but it didn't help at all. Ack, sucks that you never received an answer (btw, thanks for replying, I really appreciate it) and it seems like I'm on the same path as well, except unfortunately for me it seems like even deleting the cache folder doesn't work :lol: :lol: :x Ugh, really could it be that no one knows what the hell is up with that? It's driving me crazy seeing the distorted saves :roll: But what bothers me most is that I wonder if when I release my demo/game the people playing it will have the same issue... Not cool :oops: The only good thing is that thankfully I haven't had any issues with the sprites......... yet :lol: :lol: :lol: .......... ohGodIhopeIdon'tjinxit :cry:

But thanks for replying anyway :)

Qlara
Regular
Completed: Carmilla
itch: visualgothic

#4 Post by Qlara »

So after you delete the cache folder, open the game, start, then save or take screenshot, they still look the same? (I mean the new ones, the old ones obviously can't change.)

LuckyBerry

#5 Post by LuckyBerry »

Qlara wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:06 pm So after you delete the cache folder, open the game, start, then save or take screenshot, they still look the same? (I mean the new ones, the old ones obviously can't change.)
Yep, unfortunately :( Really weird how it works for you but not for me...

Oh and did you experience the same problem with games made by others that you may have downloaded?