About generating translations for unfinished games

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
tcassat
Regular

About generating translations for unfinished games

#1 Post by tcassat »

Hello, guys!

I wanted to know the best way to translate a game that has not yet been completed.

For example: let's say my game will have 5 events in a single script and I've done 4 of them. At this point, I generate a translation into a second language and translate all four events. So far so good.

Now I return to the primary language and make the fifth and last event of my game, in addition to adding some new lines in the old events. Then there is my doubt. How to proceed?

If I generate a new translation at this point, will Renpy overwrite the scripts in the other language and I'll lose all the translation I've done so far? If this happens, I would have to back up the last translation and then copy / paste all old content manually (which can become a complex task if I've added new content to the old events).

I hope you have been able to understand my question.

Thank you.

mikolajspy
Regular
Completed: Too many, check signature
Deviantart: mikolajspy

Re: About generating translations for unfinished games

#2 Post by mikolajspy »

It won't be overwritten, at least the parts you've translated.

It will add below, at the end of file something like "TODO: Translation generated [date]" and give you new lines.
Also, if you changed few lines in previous scenes (text in " " not placement etc.), they will be also added there as their ID might changed.