Load Gallery?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

Load Gallery?

#1 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Hello! I worked on some programming help for my friend's thesis interactive comic, which was done in Ren'py. The thing is entirely made in imagemaps as a result, no words.

Now, we finished our deliberations, and the panelists have suggested something like a load gallery, where the player can reload back on past pages. My first thought was a CG gallery from the main menu, but apparently they meant pressing a button mid-comic and being able to jump back from a past frame of their choice or clicking a button to jump to a farther page. Something like the scrub thing on the progress bar on a video, i think, when you're trying to look for a specific part of a video.

I was thinking something of a variation of the load screen, since in her game it's not really used, since it's a rather short comic. I, however, have no clue how to do this. So any help would be great!! ;;

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Load Gallery?

#2 Post by kivik »

Do you mean something like the rollback feature when you use the mousewheel to scroll back to pass interactions? I didn't really understand what you mean but scrubbing sounds like rollback and rollforward (I use my trackpad to do it and it's like scrubbing).

Renpy has a rollback function but not a rollforward one, but it wouldn't make sense to do it I don't think? Here's the page about rolling back:

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/save_loa ... ll-forward

Not sure if it's helpful, hope it's what you're looking for!

IrinaLazareva
Veteran
Projects: Legacy
Organization: SunShI

#3 Post by IrinaLazareva »

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#4 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

i was thinking of a more sophisticated rollback, where you can specify where exactly to rollback to. when i was saying scroll rollback i kinda meant like this:

so when you click a button, this shows up, and you're free to rollback to any page you want. Since the project is entirely in imagemap screens, im not entirely sure if standard rollback will work, so there. I hope I have clarified some things. I will go and try some solutions too.

kostek00
Regular

#5 Post by kostek00 »

I think it is possible. First you would need to create screen with horizontal viewport otherwise it won't scroll. In that screen add all images you want as imagebuttons. You could activate this pane with 2 methods.

1. Like in youtube by mousing over area.
2. As you described with imagebutton showing "SetScreenVariable()".

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by kivik »

Ah, I guess long as each panel has its own label, you can just jump to said label so it shouldn't be a problem.

kostek00's suggestion is great, though I'm not sure the about the use of SetScreenVariable(), I'd have thought you can just use Jump() which will jump you to the label straight the way?

kostek00
Regular

#7 Post by kostek00 »

With SetScreenVariable() I only meant showing screen with images while viewing comic as it was suggested in first post. I'm using SetScreenVariable() to show only part of the screen with it's content and it's doing good job. Going to the image it self probably will be best with Jump() as kivik suggested.