Is shrinking the Android build possible?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Is shrinking the Android build possible?

#1 Post by Imperf3kt »

I think I already know the answer, but it can't hurt to ask.

Is there any way to make the Android .apk file, smaller? I assume the size mostly comes from the included Python libraries?

I ask because I have a tiny game I'd like to put on my phone, but even though the game folder is 6kb, the built .apk file is around 40MB
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

Re: Is shrinking the Android build possible?

#2 Post by Godline »

The only thing I've found is using an earlier version of Ren'py before the new gui was installed. It's mostly the new gui information in the default which seems to make the size larger. When I use the old Ren'py version it's a lot smaller but it means having two different Ren'py versions on my computer. And then you'd have to take out the new gui and switch to the older gui.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

Hmm. Not really the best option as I would prefer to take advantage of several mobile variant configs that weren't available before the new gui.

It seems like a plausible option for some games though. I'll see if it makes a large enough difference to justify itself.

Anybody remember which version of Ren'Py was the last to offer the 'legacy GUI'?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

#4 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

This is something I have often wondered too. I noticed the size difference while testing builds of the question regarding that switching app problem , will check what versions I used later, but yeah, I think it would be better to find another way to reduce the file size.

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

#5 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

I found that 6.18.3 had a significantly smaller footprint, though personally I don't expect to be using an older version.

It would be nice if there were another way to reduce the file size, I will eventually try deleting all the unnecessary GUI image files that I don't use (as for many of my games I don't use any of them), but I have a feeling that it will only save me 3 megabytes or so.