[Solved] Side Image: Implementing Blink/Lip Flap Help

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
AvalonMelody
Regular

[Solved] Side Image: Implementing Blink/Lip Flap Help

#1 Post by AvalonMelody »

Salutations!

I bring another question about side images, this time concerning the blink and lip flap from the cookbook.

I'd like to be able to have the side image blink and lip flap (or one or the other!) I just can't find a way to do it.

I do have the image and it's needed animations ready, and I've set it up as the cookbook instructs so it works if it were a sprite, I just need a way to have side images use it. (Or another alternative!) >.<

I've referred to a few old forum posts but some (such as this one) isn't clear to me how to use and when I try a few ways to use it, it gives me an "unknown keyword" issue with side_image. Others nearly touch upon what I want but not quite. I'm using the new GUI if that affects anything!

I've never used side images, so I'm sure the way I'm trying isn't how to do it. ;v;"

Any insight (or just an explanation how to use the above-linked post) would be greatly appreciated! (If you need a paste of the code or anything, let me know!)
AvalonMelody
Last edited by AvalonMelody on Sun May 27, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Side Image: Implementing Blink/Lip Flap Help

#2 Post by kivik »

This is the official side image documentation: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/side_image.html

Essentially you need to make a side version of your animated image.

Show us your code if you have problems implementing it?

AvalonMelody
Regular

Re: Side Image: Implementing Blink/Lip Flap Help

#3 Post by AvalonMelody »

Argh, I've had one of those smack head against wall moments.
I've read that documentation so many times but I failed to remember to include "side" to the image definition in my code. :|
That's what's been giving me problems... @_@;;
Thanks for that! Solution found!

EDIT: For anyone who comes across the post here, the solution was to take cookbook code part that deals with hte LiveComposite

Code: Select all

image p normal = LiveComposite(etc.)

and add side to it.

side image p normal = LiveComposite(etc.)

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: [Solved] Side Image: Implementing Blink/Lip Flap Help

#4 Post by kivik »

Shouldn't it be this?

image side p normal = LiveComposite)etc.)