How to make sprites bigger and smaller?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ArizaLuca
Veteran
Completed: Through the Screen, Riddle Me This, Trust Fall, Phobias, Another Adventure
Projects: The Souls in the Seams, Fata Morgana, Minecraft: Story Mode - Behind the Scenes
Organization: Astral Autumn Games
Tumblr: astralautumngames
Deviantart: ArizaLuca
itch: astralautumngames

How to make sprites bigger and smaller?

#1 Post by ArizaLuca »

So in some games like Zodiac Axis (by Studio Theophilus) and The Pirate Mermaid, the person the MC is speaking to will get larger or smaller depending on how near or far away the MC is physically in proximity to that person-- how would you pull this sort of code off?

(Examples of what I mean are in this video, I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBBxbiI ... e=youtu.be

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Re: How to make sprites bigger and smaller?

#2 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

I think zoom is what you are looking for. ATL deals with animating and transforming. Here is a link to the documentation:
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/atl.html

Code: Select all

show blahblahblah:
    zoom 1.2

Or to animate it
show blahblahblah:
    zoom 1.0
    linear 1.0 zoom 1.2

ArizaLuca
Veteran
Completed: Through the Screen, Riddle Me This, Trust Fall, Phobias, Another Adventure
Projects: The Souls in the Seams, Fata Morgana, Minecraft: Story Mode - Behind the Scenes

#3 Post by ArizaLuca »

The problem is that this cuts off the sprite; I'm trying to make it bigger but cut off some of the bottom of the sprite, not the top.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

#4 Post by Ocelot »

Show some images to illustrate what are you talking about.

I suppose you can solve it by setting anchor to the top of the picture.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

ArizaLuca
Veteran

#5 Post by ArizaLuca »

The first post has some good examples of the different sizes in the video, but there's also games like Valentine's Otome and Zodiac Axis. I don't know how to set anchor to the top of the picture.

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by kivik »

If you need to find out how to use a term someone mentions, you can go to the Online Documentation (https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/) and use the search field: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/search.h ... ea=default

If you still don't understand how to use it after experimenting with it, then by all means ask again with example of how you've tried.

We're very happy to help and point in the right directions, but if you learn to use the Online Documentations, you may find a lot of answers can be answered :)

ArizaLuca
Veteran

#7 Post by ArizaLuca »

I actually figured it out earlier-- probably should've posted that here. I just used the yoffset. But thank you all for trying to help!

Enciso536
Tumblr: renpytom
Deviantart: renpytom
Github: renpytom
Soundcloud: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#8 Post by Enciso536 »

I set the resize method to no somoothing when I uploaded animations to my actor, if that's what you were referring to, but it still gets blurry when I try to resize it UPSers - Login Portal for UPSers.com Employee