[Solved]How to solve "The build.directory_name variable may not include the space, colon...(blabla)"?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
xixikudo
Regular
Projects: WhiteNightRhapsody
Organization: NamelessElysion

[Solved]How to solve "The build.directory_name variable may not include the space, colon...(blabla)"?

#1 Post by xixikudo »

I tried to build distribution of the tutorial project and just got a "The build.directory_name variable may not include the space, colon, or semicolon characters." error message. What should I check?
Where is this build.directory_name anyway?
Last edited by xixikudo on Wed May 30, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: How to solve "The build.directory_name variable may not include the space, colon...(blabla)"?

#2 Post by kivik »

Try the options.rpy file.

Are you using Atom as your text editor? If so, make sure to add your game folder into your project, then you can use Find in Project or Search in Directory for specific strings (in this case build.directory_name). Be mindful that Find in Project ignores files that you've excluded in the project.

Rayne

Re: How to solve "The build.directory_name variable may not include the space, colon...(blabla)"?

#3 Post by Rayne »

Changing...

Code: Select all

define config.version = renpy.version_string
in the options.rpy, to something like:

define config.version = "1.0"
...should fix it!

Looks like Tutorial is trying to use Ren'py version as the game version, but is has some forbidden characters.

xixikudo
Regular
Projects: WhiteNightRhapsody
Organization: NamelessElysion

#4 Post by xixikudo »

Rayne wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:34 am Changing...

...should fix it!

Looks like Tutorial is trying to use Ren'py version as the game version, but is has some forbidden characters.
This works! Thanks!

kuringal

#5 Post by kuringal »

Rayne wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:34 am Changing...

...should fix it!

I tried this but still doesn't work with me.

henvu50
Veteran

Re: [Solved]How to solve "The build.directory_name variable may not include the space, colon...(blabla)"?

#6 Post by henvu50 »

EDIT: you have to also edit your scripts.rpy and make sure the build name has no space, semicolon, like it said. then make sure the version only has number & dot. so you have to make sure your options.rpy names are good and the ones in your scripts.rpy

----------------------
I have the same problem.

options.rpy has

but i still get that error