Thanks to everyone who created with Ren'Py during the Ren'Py 6 series, when Ren'Py and visual novels went from a tiny niche to something that is popular and culturally relevant. I look forward to seeing where Ren'Py 7 takes us.
Compared to Ren'Py 126.96.36.199, this release adds a new layered image system, which provides a cleaner replacement for the use of LiveComposite and ConditionSwitch when it comes to building sprites from layered images created in paint programs. There is a new syntax for such images, and portions can be defined automatically. Layered images also interact better with other portions of Ren'Py, such as the image predictor and interactive director.
Other major changes are:
- The ability to apply transitions to specific layers, making it possible to dissolve in a sprite while text is being shown.
- A second row of ruby or interlinear text can now be shown.
- A way of converting strings into custom displayables.
- A French translation of the launcher and The Question.
- An editing pass over the reference manual.
Downloads of 7.0 can be found at:
A full list of changes to Ren'Py can be found at:
A list of changes that may require you to update your game can be found at:
Please also check out the credits and sponsor list.