How to use 1920x1080 art in a visual novel?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Plotline_Progenitor
Regular
Completed: Valerie's rest: Scripts and dreams, Countdown to Silence
Projects: Geas Institute, Adventuring enterprises

How to use 1920x1080 art in a visual novel?

#1 Post by Plotline_Progenitor »

Hi everyone, after working on some small simple projects I took the big step of starting work on a much more ambitious and hopefully high-quality project than I've done so far. I hired an artist to produce character sprites for me and they've done an amazing job bringing my characters to life.

They drew the character art in 1920x1080 proportions and when I created the project I selected the 1920x1080 resolution but when I try to display the (full body) images they show up something like this
Art problem.png
It might be a noob question but I was wondering how I can get my character images (and at some point the backgrounds the artist will make for me) to fit properly within the borders of the screen, any help you can provide would be great

I'd rather not shrink down the image size because there's some loss in quality and I'm pretty sure a way does exist to use these files as they are

(By the way this is just a placeholder image I'm using for this question thread but I've set it up and tested them both at that size and I run into the same issue)

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: How to use 1920x1080 art in a visual novel?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Looks to me like your artist used 1080x1920, instead of 1920x1080 - basically the same resolution with a different aspect ratio. Kinda like taking a mobile phone and rotating it.

You'll have to scale them down, no choice really.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

Re: How to use 1920x1080 art in a visual novel?

#3 Post by xavimat »

Artist usually work at large resolutions, and it's better because you can use their art in more ways.
For your game, you need to scale down the images (back up the originals!!). You can use GIMP, or imagemagick, or Photoshop... There are many photo editor programs for that. Renpy has also im.Scale or zoom, but don't use that for the normal size of your images (only to zoom for some reason).

The original large images are useful if you need some zoom or closeup scene. Do not zoom in reduced images for that, but make a copy of the original and crop it. Zooming in will lose resolution.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)