Side image transition help.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
NHRaven

Side image transition help.

#1 Post by NHRaven »

So, I've been working with side images. The only hang up is I don't wan't the previous speaker to vanish when either narration or the protagonist is the speaker. Is there a simple clause to exempt certain lines of speech from the side image transitioning, such that it leaves the character the MC is talking to on the screen? If anyone could help that'd be amazing.

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Side image transition help.

#2 Post by kivik »

Not that I'm aware of. However, you may be able to trick the player but creating narrator character for each of your NPCs, and use them as the narrator in those instances.

e.g.

Code: Select all

e = Character("Eileen", image="eileen")
en = Character("", image="eileen") # your narrator with eileen picture

label start:
    e "This is Eileen speaking"
    en "This is the narrator speaking, but Eileen's side picture will still show"

nubes

#3 Post by nubes »

why not do a quick transition and use a copy of the image called eileen2?

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gas »

nubes wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:54 am why not do a quick transition and use a copy of the image called eileen2?
Side images. They are tied to the character speaking.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN