Am I Downloading The Right Ren'Py Version?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
TomAClem

Am I Downloading The Right Ren'Py Version?

#1 Post by TomAClem »

Hello,

I am completely new to Ren'Py and was wanting to download it. I was on renpy.org and clicked the first of the three download buttons, thinking that was the one for my system (I use Windows). The file did its thing and an extract.zip popped up. I clicked that and again, everything updated/downloaded, but when it was done, nothing happened. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Do I need to download a different version for Windows, or do I need to download some add-on?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm a complete newbie with no knowledge of code/knowledge of computer specs so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you in advance for your help.

Tom.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: Am I Downloading The Right Ren'Py Version?

#2 Post by Remix »

Is there a folder named "renpy-7.0.0.x-sdk" or similar with a renpy.exe in it?
(has been a while since I installed, so I forget how it went)

If so, click that... maybe even add a shortcut to it on your desktop or taskbar.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#3 Post by Donmai »

If you are in https://www.renpy.org/latest.html then you can simply click the "Download SDK zip" link. Unzip the Ren'Py SDK folder to a place where you have full read/write permissions.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

Also note that if your computer is low end, Ren'Py may take up to 30 seconds to launch, appearing unresponsive.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

TomAClem

#5 Post by TomAClem »

Thank you for the feedback.

I did not have a renpy-7.0.0.x-sdk folder, so I dowloaded the SDK.zip file and redownloaded the SDK.7z.exe file. On this download I got the folder labeled renpy-7.0.0.x-sdk. Searched but couldn't find the .exe file, but there was the Ren'Py application with a mange/anime avatar so I clicked that. Told me it could not find an .exe file. Tried loading it again and it told me to uninstall Ren'Py. So deleted all files labelled Ren'Py (11,296 items, is that a correct number of Ren'Py materials in the download?). Had to click skip on quite a few of them, saying that they couldn't find the original file (most of them were labeled Mac OS). So which button do I now click to get the engine?

Again, thanks in advance.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

Are you using Windows?
Download this file:
https://www.renpy.org/dl/7.0.0/renpy-7.0.0-sdk.7z.exe

When it downloads, run it by double clicking on it.

I assume it will ask for an install location, select one.

After it installs, there will be a folder (where you told it to install) - inside this will be renpy.exe
If it asks you if you want to uninstall, you are launching the wrong file, click no and try another.

Twitter

TomAClem

#7 Post by TomAClem »

Hi again,

Thanks for the link to the download. Downloaded and ran/saved the program. Clicked the Ren'Py folder (renpy-7.0.0-sdk.). That folder is full of all other folders; doc, gui, launcher, lib, module, renpy, renpy.app, the_question, tutorial and update. I understand what these things mean (such as the question being the tutorial-type game), but even when clicking into the folders such as renpy or renpy.app, I can't tell which one loads the game.

Sorry for the continual questions, I'm a complete newbie and very confused by the whole thing!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Imperf3kt »

I don't particularly intend to be rude, but this may come out as such. Please do not take it harsh as I don't intend to offend.

Are you by any chance, relatively new to using computers? If so, you may find using renpy a little beyond your capabilities at this time.

The renpy launcher is inside the first folder. It is called renpy.exe and will have an icon of Eileen, Ren'Py's mascot character.

This program is used to make Ren'Py games, not play them, although there are two games included which you start from within the launcher.
One of these is called tutorial, which is designed to help people learn how to use Ren'Py, in order to make their own game.
The other is called 'The Question', which is an extremely short demo highlighting some of the things you can create in Ren'Py.

Twitter

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#9 Post by Donmai »

If you are in Windows, go to Control Panels/Appearance/Folder Options, and uncheck "Hide extensions of known file types". That will let you see the file extensions. Look for Renpy.exe inside the main SDK folder, and run it.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

TomAClem

#10 Post by TomAClem »

Hi,

I unchecked "hide extensions" and an icon of Eileen finally came up and it opened the launcher. Before it was only the .exe of the renpy extract.zip. So we got there eventually!

I don't take offence, I know my questions and the things that are confusing me are pretty basic!

I'm a computer native and use them in my day-to-day life and work, but when making games I've mainly been using online resources (such as Quest, Inkle and Squiffy) so haven't needed to download anything. I just wanted to move beyond the previous text-based engines that I had used, since Inkle is about to be shut down and I wanted to try something else.

I did download Unity a long time ago and messed around in that for a while. But with Unity, as soon as it downloaded, the launcher (yes, should have used the word launcher rather than load the "game" last time, my bad) was immediately on my desktop, so I was pretty confused with Ren'Py, being given so many files and not knowing which one to click.

All I needed was a nudge (or several nudges) in the right direction, which you've done. So, once more, thank you very much, you've got me moving forward in the right direction! No doubt I'll probably be back onto the forums soon though!

(Edit: Well, that didn't last long. I moved the reply.exe to my desktop, where if I click it, it won't open (says that the .exe. file is missing) but if I go through My Computer and click it, it does load. Strange, huh? In the launcher, I'm clicking stuff but nothing loads (don't know if that is meant to happen), I chose System Editor as my editor (I use Visual Studio, don't know if that is compatible) and I'm about as confused as I was before. But at least I have the launcher. So, I guess the question has been answered and the rest is on me. Once again, a sincere thank you for getting me this far!)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Imperf3kt »

When you say you put the renpy.exe on your desktop, did you copy the .exe file itself, or create a shortcut?
By moving or copying the file it won't work as the renpy.exe file needs the other files present.

I suggest going to the folder and using the right mouse button, click on the renpy.exe file and select 'create shortcut' from the context menu that opens.

Twitter