Help with map, money and buttons.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Mr12Inches

Help with map, money and buttons.

#1 Post by Mr12Inches »

First I want to say 'Hello' to everyone. I had an idea about a book a long time ago but I am not that creative (after 4 pages I noticed how exhausting it is) so I decided to make a VN. Renpy seems to be pretty easy language even if I am not familiar with python and I don't have any experience as a developer (I am working as QA and I have some idea about loops, array etc). After I watched the tutorial which is very helpful I made all characters and everything that is text-based. But now I hit the wall.
Question 1 - I plan to have a map button on the top right corner and when the user click on it, it will open a map that you can select buildings etc to switch into them. I found this - viewtopic.php?t=22410 probably that is what I am looking for but how I can create that button?
Question 2 - I want to have money and inventory system - https://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/co ... ney_System found this I hope it will help me, but does it matter where in the code I put it? Usually, in websites you put the JS on the bottom of the HTML because it will load faster, does it work in such way in renpy too?
Question 3 - I want to make a phone, it will be again a button but I also want to animate it, is it possible? On click it will open a pop-up window, which I assume there is something about that too. Maybe this - https://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/co ... ion_Screen ? The phone will have only numbers, clock, and SMS, that you can call, no other fancy stuff.
Question 4 - I want (such a surprise...) to have a notebook where the player can collect his choices, etc. I think it will be something like the phone but you should be able to save your own choices, so it will be kinda different for each player.
Question 5 - I want to make collectable objects. Let say you see a bottle, it should be clickable and to be added in the inventory. I think I can take some parts of the map script to make the objects clickable and in the inventory script, there is a way to add them I think. Is it going to work "that simple"? Or there is a better way to make this?

After this I will start to add some sounds, change most of the default stuff. I think this will add some "soul" to the game instead of running everything on default. Going to tweak some parts and after this will start with the pics. Just need better PC to make them and trying to save 2k euro for a good one. But the coding and the story will be done by then and my goal is to have first part ready till end of the year. Might sound a bit optimistic but I think it is possible. Going to make around 150 images but I have 0 art skills so I will need like 3-4 months for this.

That is pretty much and thanks for the help! :D

tapanojum
Regular

Re: Help with map, money and buttons.

#2 Post by tapanojum »

Hey, your post is loaded with so many questions which may be why you're not getting any responses. Probably would be best to work on one or two issues at a time.

Question 1
That exact post you linked is also what I used when first getting started. Which button are you referring to? Image map basically has you create two images, one that is idle, and one that is interacted with. You can create the coordinates of where the 'button' will be by pressing shift+d in your game and choose the Image Location Picker. Find your image from the list and click and drag to create the box of the coordinates.

Imagemaps still have their uses but are a bit outdated. Personally I'd look into using imagebuttons https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screens.html#imagebutton.

Question 5
If you learn imagebuttons to do your map in question 1, then you will be able to accomplish this part here as well. Imagebuttons are probably the best way of doing this. For example, in my game I have characters on screen that are clickable and lead to interactions.

I'm sorry I couldn't answer your other questions and be of more help. I'm also fairly new to Renpy and am not confident in answering everything. Learning the screen language and imagebuttons will accomplish most of what you want to do.