LayeredImage Limitations [Solved]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Roxie
Regular
Projects: Assess K, Mizuchi
Organization: Aikasa Collective, Altabe Studio
itch: aikasacolle

LayeredImage Limitations [Solved]

#1 Post by Roxie »

I have a question about layered images, which I feel it should be able to do but I can't figure it out. My sprite expressions are usually done separately by brows, eyes, and mouth. I've noticed if I do "show charactername angry" -> it only shows all 3 parts if they have the same name, such as brows_angry.png, eyes_angry, and mouth_angry.
Is there a way to show different names of each facial part at once to make a new expression? Such as brows_joy + eyes_sad + mouth_smile as one expression?
Last edited by Roxie on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Assess K (VN Adventure Game) LSF Thread | Mizuchi (GxG VN) LSF Thread | Honest Critique
[Proofreader, Beta-Tester]
Razz Art Visual - Starlight Vega [Co-writer]
Roseverte - Cafe-0, Duplicity, East Tower, How to Take Off Your Mask; Bakufu - Love Sniper
Zeiva Inc. - Train of Afterlife, OASE, X-Note, Area-X, Voices from the Sea, Natural - Beyond Nature, Dragon Essence, Anicon - Cat

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: LayeredImage Limitations?

#2 Post by kivik »

According to this part of the docs: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/layeredimage.html#poses

You should define your layer image poses / expression separately so that you can refine the brow, eyes and mouth as you want them.

Roxie
Regular
Projects: Assess K, Mizuchi
Organization: Aikasa Collective, Altabe Studio
itch: aikasacolle

Re: LayeredImage Limitations?

#3 Post by Roxie »

Ahh, so I need to do separate LayeredImages then. Thanks for the information! I'll probably just go back to my old code then that works similarly.
ImageImage
Assess K (VN Adventure Game) LSF Thread | Mizuchi (GxG VN) LSF Thread | Honest Critique
[Proofreader, Beta-Tester]
Razz Art Visual - Starlight Vega [Co-writer]
Roseverte - Cafe-0, Duplicity, East Tower, How to Take Off Your Mask; Bakufu - Love Sniper
Zeiva Inc. - Train of Afterlife, OASE, X-Note, Area-X, Voices from the Sea, Natural - Beyond Nature, Dragon Essence, Anicon - Cat