Chapter Selection help

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
CharacterGreen

Chapter Selection help

#1 Post by CharacterGreen »

I recently joined Ren'py and I hope you would understand that I'm not well versed on the engine and would like massive help.

At the beginning of my visual novel/dating simulator, you choose 1 out of 8 girls to have a relationship with. I want my game to have a Chapter Selection that adds a chapter as you progress through the game or finish a chapter, which I already don't know how to do. Along with that, I want the player to be able to replay the entire game to experience the other girls but I don't want the chapters that will be added to overwrite the previous chapters. So what I need is a Chapter Selection screen that allows for 8 different storylines with their respective chapters.

Thank you in advance!

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Chapter Selection help

#2 Post by gas »

Believeme, the shortest way to begin with is to read the quick tutorial in the docs. What you want to do is SO basic that is like asking "how to make a game".
Anyway, as an hint, you need to read about LABELS, the very first thing, and SCREEN LANGUAGE...
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

CharacterGreen

#3 Post by CharacterGreen »

Do you think you could give me like an example script because I can't seem to find anything on a Chapter Selection type thing in the tutorials?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

Thats because no such thing really exists that encompasses all uses.

Here's a brief to making your own though:
Step one: create a screen
Step two: add a button to navigation menu, that opens said screen
Step three: add buttons to your chapter screen that take a player to each desired label

You can use something like this:

Code: Select all

screen chapters():
    tag menu

textbutton "Chapter one" action Start("chapter_one")
    textbutton "Chapter two" action Start("chapter_two")

Code: Select all

label chapter_one:
    "This is chapter one."
    return # ensures when chapter one ends, the player doesn't continue into chapter two.

label chapter_two:
    "This is chapter two."
    return
Don't forget to link the "chapter screen" in the navigation menu.

You also don't have to use textbuttons, you could use images if you prefer.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

shokujin

#5 Post by shokujin »

Thank you Imperf3kt for the screen chapter code! It's working fine but I've got a little problem with it:

When I start writing under the Chapter 2 label in the script, renpy doesn't recognize anything from the chapter 1 like the player name / surname and the points gained with the different characters.

Is there something I missed or something I wasn't aware of with the labels?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

How are you defining things inside chapter one? You'll need to use define and default outside any labels, and not $ if you aren't already
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter