[Solved] Help with hiding menu screen tooltips

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Asarus
Projects: Bullwhip

[Solved] Help with hiding menu screen tooltips

#1 Post by Asarus »

Hi,

I'm wrestling with creating a new user interface, and with the help of Leon and Uncle Mugen's Imagebutton GUI Framework, I learned how to properly use imagebuttons. I also got the notion to try using tooltips from that project, and they work, but they won't go away when the imagebuttons they belong to are clicked. In Leon and Uncle Mugen's project, the tooltips don't go away either, but they have a box reserved for them, so they don't need to. I've made my tooltips in the form of thought bubbles that obscure the menus that are opened when they remain on screen.

I've googled for solutions and tried to make work the only one I found that seemed to work, a question posed by Uncle Mugen about this precise issue on GIT-hub.

The answer he gets is this:
You'll want to add something like:

on "replaced" action Hide('gui_tooltip')
Mugen confirms that this did indeed work. I can't for the life of me make it, though. Is this supposed to be a prolonged part of the imagebutton declaration? Its own little section somewhere in my code? Can someone help me use this snippet of code correctly?

Screenshots (Warning: I make a boy x boy furry game and the main menu features characters that are sort of... bulgy.)

My code:

Code: Select all

## MAIN MENU SCREEN (NEW)
## Used to display the main menu when Ren'Py starts.
##
## https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_special.html#main-menu

screen main_menu:
    tag menu # This ensures that any other menu screen is replaced.
    # begin-end comments like the one in the next line are used to display code examples in the game

#Adds the main menu background.
    add "gui/main_menu_background.png" # Add a background image for the main menu.
    add "gui/main_menu_overlay.png"

#Adds the characters.
    if persistent.statusemerson == "None":
        add "gui/chars/main_emerson_shadow.png"
    elif "Familiar":
        add "gui/chars/main_emerson_normal.png"

if persistent.statusbale == "None":
        add "gui/chars/main_bale_shadow.png"
    elif "Familiar":
        add "gui/chars/main_bale_normal.png"

if persistent.statusthorne == "None":
        add "gui/chars/main_thorne_shadow.png"
    elif "Familiar":
        add "gui/chars/main_thorne_normal.png"

if persistent.statusothello == "None":
        add "gui/chars/main_othello_shadow.png"
    elif "Familiar":
        add "gui/chars/main_othello_normal.png"

if persistent.statusfelix == "None":
        add "gui/chars/main_felix_shadow.png"
    elif "Familiar":
        add "gui/chars/main_felix_normal.png"

#Adds the main menu banner
    add "gui/main_menu_banner.png"

imagebutton auto "gui/btn/btn_main_start_%s.png" xpos 0 ypos 0 focus_mask True action Start() hovered [ Play ("channel_one", "sfx/click.wav"), Show("gui_tooltip", my_picture="gui/tt/tt_main_start.png", my_tt_xpos=0, my_tt_ypos=0)] unhovered [Hide("gui_tooltip")] #at main_eff1
    # Imagebutton documentation: http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screens.html#imagebutton
    # auto - is used to automatically define the images used by this button. We could also use:
    # imagebutton idle "main_start_idle.png" hover "main_start_hover.png"
    # xpos 1000 ypos 330 - are used set the coordinates to position the button at 1000, 330
    # focus_mask True ensures that only non-transparent areas of the button can be focused. focus_mask defines which parts of the image can be focused, and hence clicked on. Documentation: http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/style.html#button-style-properties
    # action - action to run when the button is activated. This also controls if the button is sensitive, and if the button is selected.
    # hovered - action to run when the button gains focus. Square brackets are used to run multiple actions. In this case we play a sound effect and show a tooltip.
    # unhovered - action to run when the button loses focus. In this case we hide a tooltip.
    imagebutton auto "gui/btn/btn_main_load_%s.png" xpos 0 ypos 0 focus_mask True  action ShowMenu('load') hovered [ Play ("channel_two", "sfx/click.wav"), Show("gui_tooltip", my_picture="gui/tt/tt_main_load.png", my_tt_xpos=0, my_tt_ypos=0)] unhovered [Hide("gui_tooltip")]
    imagebutton auto "gui/btn/btn_main_settings_%s.png" xpos 0 ypos 0 focus_mask True action ShowMenu('preferences') hovered [ Play ("channel_three", "sfx/click.wav"), Show("gui_tooltip", my_picture="gui/tt/tt_main_settings.png", my_tt_xpos=0, my_tt_ypos=0) ] unhovered [Hide("gui_tooltip")]
    imagebutton auto "gui/btn/btn_main_extras_%s.png" xpos 0 ypos 0 focus_mask True action ShowMenu('about') hovered [ Play ("channel_four", "sfx/click.wav"), Show("gui_tooltip", my_picture="gui/tt/tt_main_extras.png", my_tt_xpos=0, my_tt_ypos=0) ] unhovered [Hide("gui_tooltip")]
    imagebutton auto "gui/btn/btn_main_help_%s.png" xpos 0 ypos 0 focus_mask True action ShowMenu('help') hovered [ Play ("channel_five", "sfx/click.wav"), Show("gui_tooltip", my_picture="gui/tt/tt_main_help.png", my_tt_xpos=0, my_tt_ypos=0) ] unhovered [Hide("gui_tooltip")]
    imagebutton auto "gui/btn/btn_main_quit_%s.png" xpos 0 ypos 0 focus_mask True action Quit(confirm=False) hovered [ Play ("channel_one", "sfx/click.wav"), Show("gui_tooltip", my_picture="gui/tt/tt_main_quit.png", my_tt_xpos=0, my_tt_ypos=0) ] unhovered [Hide("gui_tooltip")]
Last edited by Asarus on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Help with hiding menu screen tooltips

#2 Post by kivik »

Try adding it to your action and see if it works?

imagebutton auto "gui/btn/btn_main_start_%s.png":
    xpos 0 ypos 0 
    focus_mask True 
    action [Hide("gui_tooltip"), Start()] # here
    hovered [ Play ("channel_one", "sfx/click.wav"), Show("gui_tooltip", my_picture="gui/tt/tt_main_start.png", my_tt_xpos=0, my_tt_ypos=0)]
    unhovered [Hide("gui_tooltip")]
I've broken down your imagebutton to make it easier to read

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#3 Post by xavimat »

I suggest you to not use hovered but the built-in tooltip in renpy screens. It automatically shows and hides on hover/unhover without worrying about it. (Use the hovered action only for the sound effect.)
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_a ... l#tooltips

Tooltip can be more than a string, in your case, you can put a list with the three informations you are passing to the screen tooltip (or better, a dictionary).

screen whatever():

imagebutton:
        auto "gui/btn/btn_main_load_%s.png" 
        xpos 0 ypos 0 focus_mask True  
        action ShowMenu('load') 
        hovered Play ("channel_two", "sfx/click.wav")
        tooltip {"my_picture":"gui/tt/tt_main_load.png", "my_tt_xpos":0, "my_tt_ypos":0}

$ tooltip = GetTooltip()

if tooltip:
        add tooltip["my_picture"] xpos tooltip["my_tt_xpos"] ypos tooltip["my_tt_ypos"]
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Asarus

#4 Post by Asarus »

kivik wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:28 am Try adding it to your action and see if it works?

imagebutton auto "gui/btn/btn_main_start_%s.png":
    xpos 0 ypos 0 
    focus_mask True 
    action [Hide("gui_tooltip"), Start()] # here
    hovered [ Play ("channel_one", "sfx/click.wav"), Show("gui_tooltip", my_picture="gui/tt/tt_main_start.png", my_tt_xpos=0, my_tt_ypos=0)]
    unhovered [Hide("gui_tooltip")]
I've broken down your imagebutton to make it easier to read
It totally worked! Thanks a lot for this suggestion! I didn't realize I could give several actions to it at once, that's awesome! And also thanks for breaking up my code, I'm going to follow this example and write a whole lot neater code in the time to come! :)

Asarus

#5 Post by Asarus »

xavimat wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:40 am I suggest you to not use hovered but the built-in tooltip in renpy screens. It automatically shows and hides on hover/unhover without worrying about it. (Use the hovered action only for the sound effect.)
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_a ... l#tooltips

Tooltip can be more than a string, in your case, you can put a list with the three informations you are passing to the screen tooltip (or better, a dictionary).

screen whatever():

imagebutton:
        auto "gui/btn/btn_main_load_%s.png" 
        xpos 0 ypos 0 focus_mask True  
        action ShowMenu('load') 
        hovered Play ("channel_two", "sfx/click.wav")
        tooltip {"my_picture":"gui/tt/tt_main_load.png", "my_tt_xpos":0, "my_tt_ypos":0}

$ tooltip = GetTooltip()

if tooltip:
        add tooltip["my_picture"] xpos tooltip["my_tt_xpos"] ypos tooltip["my_tt_ypos"]
Ah, and here I was thinking that I *was* doing it the "official" way. Heh, guess not! I'm going experiment a bit with refining the code with the real tooltip function and see if that might make the code better in the long run! Thanks a lot for the suggestion! :)

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

Re: [Solved] Help with hiding menu screen tooltips

#6 Post by xavimat »

Another suggestion, (sorry) ;)
Have you tried "hover_sound" instead of "hovered Play"
https://renpy.org/doc/html/style_proper ... over_sound
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Asarus

#7 Post by Asarus »

xavimat wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:22 pm Another suggestion, (sorry) ;)
Have you tried "hover_sound" instead of "hovered Play"
https://renpy.org/doc/html/style_proper ... over_sound
Oh, I actually didn't! I will give this one a try too! Thanks a lot for the tip! :D

Edit: I tried it, it worked, and I'm using it now!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#8 Post by Imperf3kt »

Hmm, thanks for this info. I'll try it out too.

I too made some tooltips that were shown by hover state. Worked great, except on touchscreen devices and in rare instances when switching screens and the hovered button didn't lose focus.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter