Problem with Ren'py 7 Launcher opening at 300x400 screen size

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
fatalblue

Problem with Ren'py 7 Launcher opening at 300x400 screen size

#1 Post by fatalblue »

Hi,

I recently downloaded ren'py 7 to continue work on game I started on the previous version. Everything works fine but for some reason the launcher opens at a 300x400 screen size and it has me literally straining to see my project titles. Any type of fix for something like this? Any file I can edit that will make the launcher open at a more reasonable size? I don't have this problem with the old version of ren'py I still have installed on my machine.

I'm running Ren'py on linux using the .sh file.

Please help ;___; I just want to go back to working on my game already...

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Problem with Ren'py 7 Launcher opening at 300x400 screen size

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Why do you have two installs? Surely it is easier to use the update function?

Regarding the strange resolution, I couldn't say.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by kivik »

I came across this situation before when I switched from laptop (2560x1600) to monitor (3840 x 2160) and then reloaded the launcher (Shift+R):

Normally I'd restart the launcher since the screen doesn't get redrawn, but I discovered I could get it to refresh (just once) and continue working from it. But on a second reload it crashed - and the launcher stayed at tiny resolution.

I went through the launcher code (it's in your renpy install folder) and changed the config variable config.gl_resize = False to True and it fixed it.

I didn't post my problem and solution because it was so specific - AND I couldn't reproduce the problem afterwards. Not sure if it solves your problem.

fatalblue

#4 Post by fatalblue »

kivik wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:13 am I came across this situation before when I switched from laptop (2560x1600) to monitor (3840 x 2160) and then reloaded the launcher (Shift+R):

Normally I'd restart the launcher since the screen doesn't get redrawn, but I discovered I could get it to refresh (just once) and continue working from it. But on a second reload it crashed - and the launcher stayed at tiny resolution.

I went through the launcher code (it's in your renpy install folder) and changed the config variable config.gl_resize = False to True and it fixed it.

I didn't post my problem and solution because it was so specific - AND I couldn't reproduce the problem afterwards. Not sure if it solves your problem.
I'll give this a shot. Thanks!
Imperf3kt wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:08 am Why do you have two installs? Surely it is easier to use the update function?

Regarding the strange resolution, I couldn't say.
Maybe because I installed ren'py 6 via linux package installer it didn't give me the option to update and I couldn't find 7 via the package installer either so that's why I downloaded it directly form the site. Gonna uninstall once the issue with my 7 is fixed though.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

The update feature is in the launcher itself.
If you're using a package manager, did you remember to update it?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

fatalblue

#6 Post by fatalblue »

Imperf3kt wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:09 pm The update feature is in the launcher itself.
If you're using a package manager, did you remember to update it?
I've tried upgrading it but no luck. The version of ren'py I have installed 6.99.8. Launcher doesn't include an option to update and package manager list 6.99.8 as the latest version. Idk at this point I feel I just need to suck it up and deal. It's only the launcher itself that's the problem after all....other poster recommendation didn't
work as well.

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by kivik »

Sorry I missed a step in my suggestion: after changing the variable, you can manually resize the launcher window, which you normally can't do.

fatalblue

#8 Post by fatalblue »

kivik wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:24 am Sorry I missed a step in my suggestion: after changing the variable, you can manually resize the launcher window, which you normally can't do.
OMG! It worked! THANK YOU!!