Android and self voicing or alternatives

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Android and self voicing or alternatives

#1 Post by Imperf3kt »

First up, I understand that on mobile platforms such as Android, self voicing is unsupported.
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/self_voicing.html

I'd still like to try and incorporate this feature if I can as a few features I want to create require a voice, but some of the spoken words will be based on what a player types (example, their name, age, etc)
I can't possibly include a million spoken names and having a select few dozen means anything not in those voice files will not work.

I am hoping somebody can help elaborate on why self vpicing doesn't work?
Do I need libraries that cannot be used on ARM devices? Is it just a blanket statement and self voicing does actually work, but only on certain phones? Maybe a technical reason, permissions perhaps?

Fiddling with the keymapping and gestures, I can enable self-voicing, but of course, nothing happens except the 'self voicing enabled' message displaying.

Is there any way to get speech synthesis into my game even if I have to add it myself, or is it simply not possible?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Android and self voicing or alternatives

#2 Post by Andredron »

Imperf3kt wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:26 am First up, I understand that on mobile platforms such as Android, self voicing is unsupported.
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/self_voicing.html

I'd still like to try and incorporate this feature if I can as a few features I want to create require a voice, but some of the spoken words will be based on what a player types (example, their name, age, etc)
I can't possibly include a million spoken names and having a select few dozen means anything not in those voice files will not work.

I am hoping somebody can help elaborate on why self vpicing doesn't work?
Do I need libraries that cannot be used on ARM devices? Is it just a blanket statement and self voicing does actually work, but only on certain phones? Maybe a technical reason, permissions perhaps?

Fiddling with the keymapping and gestures, I can enable self-voicing, but of course, nothing happens except the 'self voicing enabled' message displaying.

Is there any way to get speech synthesis into my game even if I have to add it myself, or is it simply not possible?
crutch, but there you can customize the male and female voice with a Japanese and English character. Embeds its code into the engine. This program is mostly prized for Kirikiri translations, but the auto-voice works on android, and sounds better than the ugly Google synthesizer. In Russian :)

http://anivisual.net/blog/2016-04-08-221

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

Thanks for the article, but thats not quite what I'm after.
At this point, I think I'm better off re-evaluating whether the effort is worth it.

To be perfectly honest, I spent so much time trying to see how I could use voice synthesization, that I don't even remember what I wanted to use it for...

Gotta hand it to Google Translate though, I cannot tell if there were errors, but grammatically, the translation was perfect!
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Andredron »

Imperf3kt wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:40 pm Thanks for the article, but thats not quite what I'm after.
At this point, I think I'm better off re-evaluating whether the effort is worth it.

To be perfectly honest, I spent so much time trying to see how I could use voice synthesization, that I don't even remember what I wanted to use it for...

Gotta hand it to Google Translate though, I cannot tell if there were errors, but grammatically, the translation was perfect!
ask yourself 4 questions:

1) What happens if I do this
2) What happens if I do not do this
3) What will not happen if I do it
3) What will not happen if I do not do it
Basics scenario of" the Saving Cat"

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

#5 Post by Remix »

If you get anywhere further with this, please let us know... I'm thinking Speech Recognition would be fun to play with too ;)
(there does seem to be a lot of info for "Android TTS with Python")

One rather imagines though, that RenpyTom will have looked quite far into this and figured the obstacles versus benefits make it not worth pursuing too far.
Frameworks & Scriptlets: