Uploading Ren'Py Game to Itch.io

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Mello-Knight
Regular
Projects: Band Camp Boyfriend
Tumblr: lovebirdgames

Uploading Ren'Py Game to Itch.io

#1 Post by Mello-Knight »

Hi! So I'm getting pretty close to releasing a free demo of the game I've been working on for Itch.io. I've made the page, but I'm not quite sure which files to upload. I looked up tutorials, but everyone seems to be talking about different sorts of files than from what Ren'Py has.

Do I upload the entire "game" folder? Am I supposed to separate the .rpy files from the .rpyc files so the code can't be accessed? Any feedback would be appreciated since it's my first time doing this. I was planning to experiment then realized I might as well reach out for help on here too.

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: Uploading Ren'Py Game to Itch.io

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

Mello-Knight wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am Hi! So I'm getting pretty close to releasing a free demo of the game I've been working on for Itch.io. I've made the page, but I'm not quite sure which files to upload. I looked up tutorials, but everyone seems to be talking about different sorts of files than from what Ren'Py has.

Do I upload the entire "game" folder? Am I supposed to separate the .rpy files from the .rpyc files so the code can't be accessed? Any feedback would be appreciated since it's my first time doing this. I was planning to experiment then realized I might as well reach out for help on here too.
You should not upload any files directly from your game project.

When you are releasing your game you first build one or more distributions depending on which platform/platforms (win, linux, mac) you are making a release for.

You build the distribution package(s) from the launcher. You get one (1) archive-file for each distribution you make and that(those) archive(s) is what you upload to Itch.io or whatever distributor you use. Each archive contains a number of different files. I believe they all are needed.

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/quicksta ... -your-game

Mello-Knight
Regular

#3 Post by Mello-Knight »

OMG thank you so much, this looks like exactly what I need! I'll check it out!

Mello-Knight
Regular

#4 Post by Mello-Knight »

That was really helpful and I managed to make successful distributions and upload a test demo to itch.io. All seems well on the Mac, however on the PC it looks like all of my game files can be opened up and viewed (scripts, images, audio, etc.). I'm primarily a Mac user so I'm not quite sure what to do about that. Is there a way around this?
Never mind! Thanks to past conversations on this lovely site, I figured it out. :)

phongtinh
Tumblr: imaejsc
Deviantart: imaehao
Github: imaehao
Soundcloud: imaehao
itch: imaehao

#5 Post by phongtinh »

thank you so much, this looks like exactly what I need! I'll check it out! Thanks !