Images are blurry/low quality in Renpy

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
averytireddad
Completed: None yet
Projects: The Human Race

Images are blurry/low quality in Renpy

#1 Post by averytireddad »

So I am currently working on a game in Renpy and have started adding in my art for the visual assets of the game. I am using gimp to resize my images to fit the screen in Renpy, however, whenever I scale my image to fit and then look at it in game, it always appears low quality. I understand I am making the image a lower quality when I make it smaller to fit the screen in Renpy, but is there any way I can keep the image quality while also making the image small enough to fit on the screen?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Images are blurry/low quality in Renpy

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

What resizing method are you using? The default GIMP uses is Nearest Neighbor, IIRC. Try usin bilinear or lanczos or spline32/64.
Also, what are your resolutions? Starting resolution and final resolution? If the difference is somewhat large (>2), you may want to consider using step scaling which is an optional add-on found in the GIMP repos.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

#3 Post by Remix »

Are you resizing to the same size as your game is set to? (check gui.rpy and the gui,init line).

Do you know if Ren'Py is using hw or sw rendering? (press Shift while clicking the Ren'Py launcher shortcut/icon and Force a renderer)
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

averytireddad

#4 Post by averytireddad »

Remix wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:35 am Are you resizing to the same size as your game is set to? (check gui.rpy and the gui,init line).

Do you know if Ren'Py is using hw or sw rendering? (press Shift while clicking the Ren'Py launcher shortcut/icon and Force a renderer)
I wasn't sure what type of rendering Ren'Py was using, so I did what you said and it was set to "automatically choose", then I tested each type of rendering it had out of angle/directX renderer, openGL renderer, and software renderer. None of these made a difference, so I assume it is just a problem with the size and resolution of my images.
I'm not super familiar with gimp, so it may take me a minute to figure out how to fix these things in the program.

averytireddad

#5 Post by averytireddad »

I also was sure to resize the images to the size that my game is set to in Ren'Py, and I even changed up the resolution a bit to see if that did anything, but it was still low quality.

averytireddad

#6 Post by averytireddad »

Imperf3kt wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:29 am What resizing method are you using? The default GIMP uses is Nearest Neighbor, IIRC. Try usin bilinear or lanczos or spline32/64.
Also, what are your resolutions? Starting resolution and final resolution? If the difference is somewhat large (>2), you may want to consider using step scaling which is an optional add-on found in the GIMP repos.
I assume I am using the default gimp sizing method, how would I go about using bilinear, lanczos, or spline 32/64? I am relatively new to the program and don't have everything figured out yet.

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by kivik »

I don't use GIMP myself but here's the GIMP doc so hopefully it'll shine some light? It'd be under the interpolation.

Can you explain what resolution you're resizing from and what resolution you're resizing to in GIMP as well out of curiosity?

averytireddad

#8 Post by averytireddad »

kivik wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:54 pm I don't use GIMP myself but here's the GIMP doc so hopefully it'll shine some light? It'd be under the interpolation.

Can you explain what resolution you're resizing from and what resolution you're resizing to in GIMP as well out of curiosity?
The resolution both before and after in gimp is 13.7800 pixels/mm, they're labelled as x-resolution and y-resolution in gimp. I am resizing from 2000x2000 pixels to 720x720 pixels. I have also tried resizing the image in my drawing program itself, but still come across the same problem when viewing the image in game. If the solution to this is simple, I apologize for the trouble, I'm not very savvy when it comes to these things.
Attachments
before.PNG
before.PNG (11.82 KiB) Viewed 3592 times
after.PNG
after.PNG (11.84 KiB) Viewed 3592 times

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#9 Post by PyTom »

The usually reason for this is Ren'Py isn't running at full resoltuion. When you go into preferences, is Window highlighted?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

averytireddad

#10 Post by averytireddad »

PyTom wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:10 am The usually reason for this is Ren'Py isn't running at full resoltuion. When you go into preferences, is Window highlighted?
Well, when I click on preferences in the launcher, I am not seeing anything that says window? Am I clicking on the wrong thing?

averytireddad

#11 Post by averytireddad »

averytireddad wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:47 am
PyTom wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:10 am The usually reason for this is Ren'Py isn't running at full resoltuion. When you go into preferences, is Window highlighted?
Well, when I click on preferences in the launcher, I am not seeing anything that says window? Am I clicking on the wrong thing?
I apologize! I realize you meant preferences in the actual game! When I highlighted window, everything seems to look fine, thank you all for your help! The fix was so simple I feel a bit stupid :lol: