Ren'Py 7.1.0 Prereleased

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
FroGlenn
Regular

Re: Ren'Py 7.1.0 Prereleased

#31 Post by FroGlenn »

Imperf3kt wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:47 pm Haven't got Android studio, but I guess I need it with the latest updates.
Time to go find it.

Thanks for the help.
Android Studio really lets you customize your app a lot. I mean, now Renpy targets SDK 28, so if you publish it and something goes wrong, you cnat go back to any SDK 22 or previous. I'm really not that confident to do that jump yet.

With android studio, you can change your target to sdk 22 and publish it if your app is already published (until november). So you have more time to understand all the great things Tom implemented in the new version of Renpy.

Android Studio really lets you unlock your renpy game potential to android market. There is so great things you can do with it, like using firebase events to track which choices your players are choosing. This can be really helpful.

And with Renpy 7.1.0 is so easy to import your game to Android Studio. Just open Android Studio, select File > New > Import Project and select the folder PROJECT inside renpy 7.1.0 install folder > rapt.

You can start building for debug and release using the keystore generated by rapt the first time you published your game.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#32 Post by jack_norton »

Interesting. Is there a way to use some thing like "cloud saves" ? I am a total newbie when comes to Android :mrgreen:
But probably the most commonly requested feature from the android players was a way to store the savegames "in the cloud". Now I don't know if there's something that can be added easily, like Steam cloud saves. But if it's possible I'd be interested to know how. Since Android devices in general are much less reliable (lots of crashes or app quitting unexpectedly) having an auto-cloud save option would be really a great addition to Ren'Py :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#33 Post by jack_norton »

For the heap error found a solution online:
Step 1 : Open gradle.properties file in your Android Studio project.
Step 2: Find the line in the file:
# The setting is particularly useful for tweaking memory settings.
org.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx256m

I put 256 instead of the default value which was 1576-something, now works :)
computer games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#34 Post by jack_norton »

A question about this new release, I think some behavior in screens has changed.
before I could set variable values directly on the screens, like:
$curlabel=XYZ;locID=Map[x][y]
and so on. Now, seems that all variables are "local" to the screen. If I want "curlabel" which I change in the screen to be used also in the main script code, like after a Return action, I need to write it like this:
action (SetVariable("curlabel",curlabel),SetVariable("locID",locID),Return("land"))
which seems weird to me :lol: I mean I need to use SetVariable to set a variable with the same name, to be used outside the screen!?! :shock:
computer games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#35 Post by PyTom »

I don't believe that code (using $ to set a variable outside the screen) has ever worked. Variables inside a screen have always been local to the screen.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#36 Post by jack_norton »

Whoops, seems like you're right :lol:
computer games

JackDoe

#37 Post by JackDoe »

jack_norton wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:16 pm For the heap error found a solution online:
Step 1 : Open gradle.properties file in your Android Studio project.
Step 2: Find the line in the file:
# The setting is particularly useful for tweaking memory settings.
org.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx256m

I put 256 instead of the default value which was 1576-something, now works :)
I got a new error after that:

Code: Select all

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':app:validateSigningRelease'.
> Keystore file 'C:\RenPy\renpy-7.1.0-sdk\rapt\android.keystore' not found for signing config 'release'.
UPD: Problem is solved. I set path to the android.keystore file in the Android Studio.
Last edited by JackDoe on Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FroGlenn
Regular

#38 Post by FroGlenn »

jack_norton wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:00 am Interesting. Is there a way to use some thing like "cloud saves" ? I am a total newbie when comes to Android :mrgreen:
But probably the most commonly requested feature from the android players was a way to store the savegames "in the cloud". Now I don't know if there's something that can be added easily, like Steam cloud saves. But if it's possible I'd be interested to know how. Since Android devices in general are much less reliable (lots of crashes or app quitting unexpectedly) having an auto-cloud save option would be really a great addition to Ren'Py :)
I'm doing it myself using Firebase. My game is already published, so I do some story and some new features each update.

For now, I'm using Authentication and Database to create a "bucket" for each user upon first login and storing simple variables, like Strings (player name, player ID), int (coins and other stuff from the game) and Boolean (if the player got something persistent).

Using Firebase Storage, I'm pretty sure you can upload and download .save files from Renpy to use it. You can upload and download it in the right folder and using jnius, you can integrate with your renpy game loop.

I will need a bit more time myself to create and test the code, but if it works I will gladly share here.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#39 Post by jack_norton »

That's interesting :)
FroGlenn did you manage to make the IAP work? I am getting an error message on startup in my game. But I am not using Android studio to publish, just Ren'Py like before.
computer games

JackDoe

#40 Post by JackDoe »

Game uploaded to Google Play doesn't work with Android 7.0. It freezes on "Starting..." screen without any errors. It work fine on 4.4.2 and 5.1.
Game is set in landscape orientation. It also loading default RenPy icon instead of custom one.

FroGlenn
Regular

#41 Post by FroGlenn »

jack_norton wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:24 am That's interesting :)
FroGlenn did you manage to make the IAP work? I am getting an error message on startup in my game. But I am not using Android studio to publish, just Ren'Py like before.
I dont have any in app purchases in the app. Its just ads for now, so I dont know how to make it work.

IMO you need the Android Studio to use any of Google Services features. You need to use the google-services.json file to authenticate your app and use authentication, save, achievments and other features.

Everybody working in games targeting android players should use Android Studio and start learning the basics of android programming, just the basic Java so you can integrate libraries and use a lot of code samples and easy to use resources that Google, Facebook and other companies gives you for free.

Its really huge the amout of things you can do with little time of ressearch.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#42 Post by PyTom »

I've uploaded an updated version which should work alot better.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#43 Post by jack_norton »

The apk produced now though are "unsigned". The filenames are like:
com.winterwolves.bionicheartdemo-10208-armeabi-v7a-release-unsigned.apk
while before I think they were correctly signed? I need to sign them manually ? (I don't think) thanks!
computer games

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#44 Post by Imperf3kt »

The apk files have always been unsigned for me, even back while using ANT.

Appreciate all the hard work PyTom. 🍻
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#45 Post by jack_norton »

I think I remember before Ren'Py was automatically signing them all with the Android key (android.keystore). I remember in the RAPT bin folder being two different APK, unsigned, and signed (I'm 99% sure of this). I don't think you can publish an unsigned APK on Google Play anyway?
computer games