Loading save file doesn't direct you to the place you saved to?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
meyaoi
Regular
Tumblr: meyaoigames
Deviantart: meyaoi

Loading save file doesn't direct you to the place you saved to?

#1 Post by meyaoi »

Hello guys!
I've received a report from a player regarding save files that don't direct you to the place you saved for. To better explain it, player saved at spot A (where it contains a choice) and the screenshots are properly displayed (the correct screen's screenshot). However, when the player tries to load the save file, he ends up at a spot totally unrelated to the spot he saved in 0_0

This is making me puzzled, and I tried browsing the forums and having no similar cases...
Any sort of help is appreciated!

Tayruu
Regular

Re: Loading save file doesn't direct you to the place you saved to?

#2 Post by Tayruu »

Is this save in somewhere non-standard? That is to say, it's not in "normal" dialogue/narration, but inside a screen of some sort?
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/save_loa ... after-load
You might find this helpful, renpy.retain_after_load() helps to make sure that the state of the game is what it should be, instead of at the start of a "statement".

If the save is in "normal" dialogue/etc though, then I'm not sure what's going on. Can you provide an example of the code around where the save plays up? Are you able to replicate the issue yourself?