SKIPPING FEATURE BEHAVING RANDOMLY

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
gamajorbatistan
Regular

SKIPPING FEATURE BEHAVING RANDOMLY

#1 Post by gamajorbatistan »

WHAT THE FUCK MAN. I'M SO TIRED OF THIS PROGRAM. WHY DOES IT ALWAYS DO WHATEVER THE FUCK IT WANTS RANDOMLY??? HOW ARE PEOPLE SUPPOSED TO LEARN IT IF THERE IS NO CONSISTENCY IN HOW IT BEHAVES? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

play game once: skip feature completely disabled
play game second time: skip feature now initially enabled but disables itself after 15 seconds
play game a third time: skip faeture now initially enabled but disables itself at specific scene

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS ???? I DIDN'T CHANGE ANYTHING WHY WOULD IT AUFSUFASKDASKDKFFASUIRQFASHUASF

I'm done with RenPy. This shit is not worth anyones sanity.

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: SKIPPING FEATURE BEHAVING RANDOMLY

#2 Post by gas »

Skip already seen text.... MAYBE????
Kids those days...
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

erickcire95
Regular

#3 Post by erickcire95 »

Please tell me you are joking.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#4 Post by xavimat »

For your way of writing, I'm not sure if you are interested in listening to the very simple explanation. Anyway, nobody forces you to read this:

- "Skip" has two modes: "skip all text" or "skip only seen text". Go to the preferences screen of your game and you see both options, and can select the one you want.
The second one (only seen text) is the default because is the one that makes more sense (if a player has already seen some text, they maybe want to skip that until the text they haven't read). The first one does not make sense actually (a player starts a visual novel to read a visual novel and skips the text of the novel without reading it... not happening a lot); it's more useful for developers, for example. (Well, I actually have seen a comment on a VN on steam of a player that said: "not interested in VNs, skipped all the text and finished the game in half a minute"; I'm not kidding!)

So, what you have experienced is probably the intended and normal behavior (with the default mode "skip only seen text"):
- Play the game once (I assume "once" means "the first time"), so, the "first time" all text is unseen. There is no text to skip because there is no "seen text".
- Play the game again. The "skip" button is now active because there is now seen text (the text you have seen in the first play) but, probably you haven't finished reading your game the first time, so, when you reach the point where you stopped the first time, there is no more "seen text", so "skip" is no longer active. In this second play you see some more text.
- Play the game a third time. The text seen the first and second time and the text seen only the second time (a bit more than the first), are now all (internally) marked as "seen text", so the "skip" button will be sensitive until the point you stopped the second time. From that point, the rest of the text is still "not seen". So, the "skip" button is insensitive again.

- When you finish playing the game (if there are branches, when you finish playing all of them), then all the text will be "seen", so "skip" will be always possible.
- BUT, if you, as a developer, play a part of the game and later change some lines (maybe correct a typo), those lines are "new" to renpy, so they are considered "not seen" again. The "skip" button will behave consistently as always according to that.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

#5 Post by Per K Grok »

xavimat wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:46 pm
---
"Skip" has two modes: "skip all text" or "skip only seen text".
---
Your description of how the modes work was very informative. That helped me to understand the function better, so your effort was not without use, even if OP might have (or not have) left the building. Thanks.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#6 Post by xavimat »

Per K Grok wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:47 pm
xavimat wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:46 pm---
"Skip" has two modes: "skip all text" or "skip only seen text".
---
Your description of how the modes work was very informative. That helped me to understand the function better, so your effort was not without use, even if OP might have (or not have) left the building. Thanks.
Well, actually, there are more options, but they aren't relevant here. Usually "skip" stops at menus, but that can be disabled too, and transitions can be skipped or not.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)