Menu questions

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
grlfo

Menu questions

#1 Post by grlfo » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:10 am

I want to do dialogues like monkey island, but I have some troubles trying. I already edit the menu choices in screen.rpy putting the text in the bottom with the mousewheel.

What i already did

What i want

How I can make the white frame transparent? how I can start the phrase in the left corner and not in the middle? how I can delete the black bar hover?

And there is a way to make just 1 phrase with a different color? like 1 phrase red with a bright red hover, and the others with the idle and hover that I defined in the gui.rpy

Thanks!

Per K Grok
Regular
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships
Projects: Defenders of Adacan
Deviantart: pekj
itch: per-k-grok

Re: Menu questions

#2 Post by Per K Grok » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:06 am

grlfo wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:10 am
I want to do dialogues like monkey island, but I have some troubles trying. I already edit the menu choices in screen.rpy putting the text in the bottom with the mousewheel.

---

How I can make the white frame transparent? how I can start the phrase in the left corner and not in the middle? how I can delete the black bar hover?

And there is a way to make just 1 phrase with a different color? like 1 phrase red with a bright red hover, and the others with the idle and hover that I defined in the gui.rpy

Thanks!
---
I'm not sure I got all your questions covered, but here are some things you can look at :)

aligning the text left
in gui.rpy
under 'Choice buttons'

define gui.choice_button_text_xalign = 0.0

Making part of a string in a different color
"{color = #f00}This text will be red.{/color} This will be the standard color."

Background images for the choice buttons
in the folder gui/buttons in the game-folder you will find two images that are background for the choice buttons (menu alternatives)
choice_idle_background.png
choice_hover_background.png

If you want a different background you make your own images an replace the original images using the same name for the new image.
Image Visual Story Telling, DeviantArt Group for animations, comics, games and illustrations https://www.deviantart.com/acgi

grlfo

#3 Post by grlfo » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:39 pm

Per K Grok wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:06 am

I'm not sure I got all your questions covered, but here are some things you can look at :)

aligning the text left
in gui.rpy
under 'Choice buttons'

define gui.choice_button_text_xalign = 0.0

Making part of a string in a different color
"{color = #f00}This text will be red.{/color} This will be the standard color."

Background images for the choice buttons
in the folder gui/buttons in the game-folder you will find two images that are background for the choice buttons (menu alternatives)
choice_idle_background.png
choice_hover_background.png

If you want a different background you make your own images an replace the original images using the same name for the new image.
Thanks you a lot! :D

This is what i do

I used "background Frame("image")" for that white frame

Chekhov
Regular
Projects: Pluton

#4 Post by Chekhov » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:14 pm

Hey grlfo,

I'm actually working on something that would require exactly the same thing.

Any chance you would share in public or private the code/modifications you did to achieve this? You could save me quite a bit of time.