Author tracking Game Data

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
The33rdBandit

Author tracking Game Data

#1 Post by The33rdBandit »

Hello,

This is my first time posting, so if this at all the wrong location please let me know and I'll delete the thread and move to the proper location.

I'm currently planning out the scope of my project so I'm investigating if different things are possible or not (both at all or within my means). I'm planning on releasing my VN in smaller chapters at a consistent pace (lets say once a month or so.)

Now - I'd like to offer choices that don't have any immediate impact, but will inform me as the author of different choices the readers have made so that I can adapt the future released based on those choices.

Is it at all possible to receive data based on user input? How would I go about this?

Thanks for the help in advance :)

Dsiak
IRC Nick: [Actual Horse]

Re: Author tracking Game Data

#2 Post by Dsiak »

Interesting idea.

Now I far as I researched, RenPy can not be easily ported to play online in a web browser, so the easy solution of having a webpage send it to you might not be so straightforward.

The way I would go about it: create a very basic class that contains whatever you wish to know about the game and have your game upload it somewhere. While I have not done such a thing with Python, I believe it will be very similar to other languages, it should be something like:

Code: Select all

DataToTxt:
    readable_text = "First choice was:"+choice_1_flag +
    "Itens found: "+len(items_list)
UploadTxt:
    temporary_file = NamedTemporaryFile [DataToText(), (preferably)Unique Name for this Player]
    Function From API That Uploads (temporary_file, my_cloud)
The hard part will be to:
  • Find a suitable API
  • Bundle it with Python
So I recommend not to be toooo creative with how you will upload it, using an API for google drive or git will get the job done and you won't have to deal with all the headache that is getting permission for your package to get past the firewall. Plus they (should) have very solid documentation for both uploading and bundling.
neigh

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love, unknown
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations

Re: Author tracking Game Data

#3 Post by xavimat »

Two examples in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47568

Renpy can import urllib2 to send/receive data to/from a web server (I use a php page and a MySQL database there).
You could use also the "requests" module, but you need to include the module in your game. PyTom made an example here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/news-from-your-15636026
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)