Right resolution?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Musick
Regular
Completed: Ariane's Assistant Ariane Eldar's Rock Strip Quiz 1
Deviantart: SteampunkGorgon
itch: ritchierat

Right resolution?

#1 Post by Musick »

I am not sure yet if I'm going to make my next game with Renpy (at least I made one game with it so far) or with RenJs (that would allow me to create an online game, but I will have to start at zero again), but anyhow, I am not sure what rresolution would be reasonable.
For my first game, I used a resolution of 1280 x 720, which worked fine, but there are only 35 images, and the pc-zip file is more the 40 mb large.
My next game will be much more complex and will contain much more images, so I fear it will get much to large, no matter if online or downloadable.
The game will be a mix of rpg and quiz, so what resolution would you suggest from your own experiences?

rames44
Veteran

Re: Right resolution?

#2 Post by rames44 »

Remember that a good portion of that 40Mb was the Renpy core, which won’t expand as your game expands, so things might not be as bad as you think.

1280x720, IMHO, is a pretty good resolution. If you use JPG’s for your background images, you can always trade off size for quality. Save PNG’s for images that need transparency, as otherwise, they tend to be large.

Musick
Regular
Completed: Ariane's Assistant Ariane Eldar's Rock Strip Quiz 1
Deviantart: SteampunkGorgon
itch: ritchierat

Re: Right resolution?

#3 Post by Musick »

Thank you, that's helpful. So I will stick with 1280x720, and will only make characters as png, and backgrounds as jpg.