Sprites are blurry in fullscreen in renpy?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
averytireddad
Completed: None yet
Projects: The Human Race

Sprites are blurry in fullscreen in renpy?

#1 Post by averytireddad »

I asked a question similar to this one a while back, but I've got something else that is bothering me now. I've drawn a few images for a game that I am working on, and when the game is in windowed mode, the images look just fine. However, when I make the game fullscreen, the images become a bit blurry, which is really a nuisance for me. Is there any way I can make it so images I put in my game are not blurry in both windowed and fullscreen mode, or are Ren'py games just meant to be played in windowed mode only?
Sorry if the answer is super obvious! I just need a bit of help. Thank you!

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: Sprites are blurry in fullscreen in renpy?

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

averytireddad wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:12 pm I asked a question similar to this one a while back, but I've got something else that is bothering me now. I've drawn a few images for a game that I am working on, and when the game is in windowed mode, the images look just fine. However, when I make the game fullscreen, the images become a bit blurry, which is really a nuisance for me. Is there any way I can make it so images I put in my game are not blurry in both windowed and fullscreen mode, or are Ren'py games just meant to be played in windowed mode only?
The standard Ren'py game comes with an option for the player to play in windowed or full-screen mode, so I think it is a safe bet that the intention is that the games should be able to be played in full-screen mode. :)

When you scale up a raster image you will have the same amount of information spread thinner, so it is natural to get a perceived loss of quality. Is it anything more than that, that you are experiencing?

The bigger you make the game, the less up-scaling will be needed to go from windowed to full screen = less blurring.

averytireddad
Completed: None yet
Projects: The Human Race

#3 Post by averytireddad »

Per K Grok wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:30 am
averytireddad wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:12 pm I asked a question similar to this one a while back, but I've got something else that is bothering me now. I've drawn a few images for a game that I am working on, and when the game is in windowed mode, the images look just fine. However, when I make the game fullscreen, the images become a bit blurry, which is really a nuisance for me. Is there any way I can make it so images I put in my game are not blurry in both windowed and fullscreen mode, or are Ren'py games just meant to be played in windowed mode only?
The standard Ren'py game comes with an option for the player to play in windowed or full-screen mode, so I think it is a safe bet that the intention is that the games should be able to be played in full-screen mode. :)

When you scale up a raster image you will have the same amount of information spread thinner, so it is natural to get a perceived loss of quality. Is it anything more than that, that you are experiencing?

The bigger you make the game, the less up-scaling will be needed to go from windowed to full screen = less blurring.
How can I make the game bigger? I would like my images to be a nice quality when in full-screen mode as well. I know that simply changing the size of the images wont work, because that only makes the images bigger on the screen, and doesn't make them clearer.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

You need to create or use bigger images to start with.
If you want to play in fullscreen on say, a 1920*1080 monitor, then you'll want to use images that are 1920*1080, otherwise you cannot avoid Ren'Py being forced to upscale them (which is what is making them blurry)
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#5 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

averytireddad wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:27 pm How can I make the game bigger? I would like my images to be a nice quality when in full-screen mode as well. I know that simply changing the size of the images wont work, because that only makes the images bigger on the screen, and doesn't make them clearer.
You can't just change the size of your images - otherwise you are doing the same thing Renpy is doing, just interpolating the pixels to get a larger image (and that makes things more blurry).

You have to create from scratch, at the beginning, your images to be the same resolution as the largest full screen resolution you want to support. So if you are wanting clear images at fullscreen at 1080x1920, you need to create the original images in that size.

Remember, you can always SHRINK a sprite or image and retain quality, but you can't ENLARGE a sprite or image and retain quality. So you have to create for the largest size screen and reduce down for smaller resolutions.

I don't plan on releasing my projects in anything higher than 1080p resolution, but I create my assets in 4K, so I have the option in the future.