Expansion packs

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Expansion packs

#1 Post by namastaii »

I'm pretty sure I asked about this a few years ago haha And I tried the search bar but apparently the website crashes whenever I try to search? >.>
So I'll ask again! XD

Basically what I want to know is... is my type of game too much for the ren'py engine to handle? My game is overly detailed. Has a lot of screens and will have a lot of dialogue. And by a lot, I mean A LOT. That in itself would slow the game down, right? That's what I'm afraid of. I had some of you guys on the forum test out a character creation screen I had. My computer ran it fine but others were experiencing lag :/ How do I fix this?

I really want my game to be kind of massive? It's an over-the-top kind of date sim and I want to be able to release expansion packs which add more places, dialogue, items, all sorts of things. Is this even possible? Can I release extensions on steam for people to download that gets added to my game? I haven't looked a ton into this but I'm first just wondering if it's possible AND is it going to slow down the game too much? If I'm looking to go this complex, do I need to use something else because I really like using ren'py.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

Re: Expansion packs

#2 Post by xavimat »

The words "a lot" and "massive" are not very informative.
How many words have your narrative? How many images do you plan? How big are that images? (resolution, Kb...) How many images are you showing at once? Are you planning on putting movies inside? How many? How long? How big? Are you planing on putting several movies at once on screen? How many? How long? How big?
As you have said, that's not a "renpy" problem actually, but a "minimum requirements" question to play a game smooth. Some 3D games have options to reduce animations, 3D textures, smoke/fog... Maybe you could think something like that.
There is a thread "Why is my game slow" where Pytom is asking people to test renpy hardly to see how to optimize it: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47550

"Expansion Packs" are possible with the web updater. They can be downloaded separately (like editra, atom, rapt... in the launcher). Search for "DLC": https://renpy.org/doc/html/search.html? ... ea=default
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)