How much can ren.py access?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
AmazingA
Projects: First Law of Thermodynamics
Soundcloud: Amazing A

How much can ren.py access?

#1 Post by AmazingA »

I wanted to ask what all can ren.py access, how much of a computer's software and hardware can it access given the permission. I'm new to programming, help.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

Re: How much can ren.py access?

#2 Post by xavimat »

First thing: Renpy is intended to make visual novels and life simulation games, mostly narrative games.
You can add python code inside renpy, and python is an "all purpose" language. So, eventually, you could create anything inside renpy.
But, at some point, you will be "fighting" renpy to achieve what you want.
I don't know why do you want to access software/hardware from renpy (I'm guessing, though :) ), but probably you need another engine.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

AmazingA
Projects: First Law of Thermodynamics
Soundcloud: Amazing A

#3 Post by AmazingA »

xavimat wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:30 am I don't know why do you want to access software/hardware from renpy (I'm guessing, though :) ), but probably you need another engine.
Mostly, I was just kinda curious, but I suppose that it can fairly access a lot of stuff, for example: just have a look at how much Doki Doki Literature Club can access, it can literally modify and create new files. But anyway, thanks for the help!

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#4 Post by xavimat »

I thought that was (another) DDLC-related question :wink:
Creating/accessing directories/files is not big deal. the launcher does it when creating a project, creating the log.txt, traceback.txt and errors.txt files. You can use "open". I usually import codecs and use codecs.open (it's simpler for utf-8 languages).
DDLC tries to access to your windows username and checks if you are recording the screen (on windows). It also checks if a file is in a folder or not so you need to delete a file to go on with the game. Many people has been mesmerized by this things but they are not actually part of a normal VN. It think it's a really bad idea have a game messing with my files. I'd prefer a game that asks for these things inside the game (a fake desktop inside the game, like Digital: A Love Story http://scoutshonour.com/digital/ )
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)