Return problems following splash screen

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Becca-Boo

Return problems following splash screen

#1 Post by Becca-Boo »

Hi all,

First post and already a ditzy question :)

So I'm trying to whomp up a little game and have added a splash screen and my own menu page. So far so good and at start everything does as it should. Splash screen works, menu loads, buttons work, game starts etc etc. Which is aces.....but for one thing.

The in game menu works perfectly when called, but if I use the replacement main menu at the start for preferences/help/load etc, the "Return" button -doesn't- work. It does in-game if I select the menu - just not at the main menu at the start, which is annoying.

Now, even though I'm bear of little brain, I'm guessing it's to do with the way labels are working. So label start means that once the game is running and I use the return button it has somewhere to go, but for the replacement start main menu I suspect having the label splash screen before the replacement main menu is causing it to get confused. I think I need to force another label in there somehow after the splash but despite several attempts I just can#t get a working return button at the start. Any one willing to point out what I've missed? (and I suspect it's easy but for the life of me I just can't seem to solve it!)

It's maddening as I know what is wrong, just not how to repair it! :)

Code used different to what is usually in is as follows:

In script
label splashscreen:

$ renpy.movie_cutscene('splash.ogv')

return

In screens
screen main_menu:
imagemap:
ground "menu/titleground.png"
hover "menu/titlehover.png"

hotspot (100, 585, 189, 61) action Start()
hotspot (324, 582, 191, 64) action ShowMenu("load")
hotspot (549, 582, 193, 64) action ShowMenu("preferences")
hotspot (774, 581, 192, 63) action ShowMenu("help")
hotspot (998, 579, 191, 64) action Quit(confirm=False)

MaydohMaydoh
Regular
Projects: Fuwa Fuwa Panic
Tumblr: maydohmaydoh

Re: Return problems following splash screen

#2 Post by MaydohMaydoh »

You need to add the menu tag to your screen.

Code: Select all

screen main_menu:
	tag menu

Becca-Boo

Re: Return problems following splash screen

#3 Post by Becca-Boo »

Oh blast...I feel such a ditz!

Many, many thanks.